Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New benefit on AA cards

tag
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: New benefit on AA cards

@Random_idiot wrote:
Anyone else find this degrading? lol.. There better be a big diff between Economy and Basic for me to go through all of that..

People get what they pay for, and the new basic economy tier is a play to the market against the other LCCs like Spirit. There will still be regular economy, premium economy, business, and first classes for everyone else. If you use the amenities of the other cabins, buy a ticket for the other cabins and the problem is solved with no degradation.

Likewise, if someone's only determining factor on buying a ticket is price, they have no room to complain as they wanted to fly as cheaply as possible.

Message 11 of 16
happypill
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Well, sort of new!    Next month AA begins, on certain routes, "Basic Economy" which has several restrictions, two of which are:

1) No access to overhead bins

2) If a bag has to be checked at the gate, there is a $25 fee

You are also in the last boarding group (presumably to help staff check that you aren't trying to use the bins!)

With both the Citi and Barclays card, you don't have these restrictions, and you can board in group 1.

So, slight advantage if Basic Economy is much cheaper, and the other restrictions (no standby, no changes or refunds, seat assignment free only at checkin etc) are acceptable

I was just approved for the Citi AA Card a few days ago (haven't received it yet) and read about the new class of service today.  My first thought was, this is actually a nice new bonus.  I almost never check bags if I'm traveling alone, but always have a carry on so I'd definitely benefit if using Basic Economy.  I didn't think about the boarding order but that's nice as well.

Not sure if I'd actually use Basic Economy though.  I'd definitely pay to get an assigned seat (which is an option), as flying middle seat is acceptable to me only in the most dire of circumstances.

Message 12 of 16
red259
Super Contributor

@happypill wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Well, sort of new!    Next month AA begins, on certain routes, "Basic Economy" which has several restrictions, two of which are:

You are also in the last boarding group (presumably to help staff check that you aren't trying to use the bins!)

With both the Citi and Barclays card, you don't have these restrictions, and you can board in group 1.

So, slight advantage if Basic Economy is much cheaper, and the other restrictions (no standby, no changes or refunds, seat assignment free only at checkin etc) are acceptable

I was just approved for the Citi AA Card a few days ago (haven't received it yet) and read about the new class of service today.  My first thought was, this is actually a nice new bonus.  I almost never check bags if I'm traveling alone, but always have a carry on so I'd definitely benefit if using Basic Economy.  I didn't think about the boarding order but that's nice as well.

Not sure if I'd actually use Basic Economy though.  I'd definitely pay to get an assigned seat (which is an option), as flying middle seat is acceptable to me only in the most dire of circumstances.

Given all the changes with AA this actually might make the card a bit more useful. Then again I flew one airline recently (can't remember if it was AA but maybe) where I had an economy seat and because I did not have status I could not book my seat until like the day before and by that time the only available seats were middle seats.  Of course all the open nicer seats could be mine if I paid an additional fee. Airlines are run by really scummy people.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 50,000 bonus miles come thru on my new Citi AA card any day now and I have just met the $3,000 spend about one week ago right before the statement cut.  I also received the email today alerting me of this new class of flight.  I'll be perusing this tier to see if it's going to be worth my while.  I didn't know about the overhead compartment bit, though.  We'll see how it translates to value.

Message 14 of 16
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Actually from the blog View from the wing (i suck at cut and pasting LOL) There are now 9 groups - If you have a AA executive card you are now group 4, other AA cards are group 5.......

Message 15 of 16
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Random_idiot wrote:
Anyone else find this degrading? lol.. There better be a big diff between Economy and Basic for me to go through all of that..

People get what they pay for, and the new basic economy tier is a play to the market against the other LCCs like Spirit. There will still be regular economy, premium economy, business, and first classes for everyone else. If you use the amenities of the other cabins, buy a ticket for the other cabins and the problem is solved with no degradation.

Likewise, if someone's only determining factor on buying a ticket is price, they have no room to complain as they wanted to fly as cheaply as possible.

I agree 100%. You get what you pay for.

If the prices for the basic, were the same as what the reg economy is now, well. thats an issue.

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.