Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New blog article: How to Choose Your Next Travel Credit Card

tag
Elizabeth_FICO
myFICO Employee

New blog article: How to Choose Your Next Travel Credit Card

Hello everyone! If there's a new blog article that I think you guys might like I plan on posting it in the Forums.

This week's article is: How to Choose Your Next Travel Credit Card

Let me know what you think about the article.

For more content don't forget to check out our blog.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New blog article: How to Choose Your Next Travel Credit Card

Travel ranges from last-minute day trips to lengthy trips around the world. Costs range accordingly.

For someone planning a "big" trip who thinks there's a chance that they'll have to carry a substantial part of their spending for at least 2 statement cycles, the best travel card is probably a low-apr, no AF, no FTF credit union VI/MC. Even if it only offers 1% cash back (or less).

Maybe it should go without saying, but IMO it's worth a disclaimer. The 'travel rewards card' game is kind of a fool's errand if the card is used for financing. It only makes sense if you have the funds available and are looking for the most advantageous way to process your payments. 

Message 2 of 11
quikj9
Frequent Contributor

I think the article did a fairly good job of breaking down the difference between co-branded and flexible point travel cards. Though, I don't necessarily think that cobrands are best for a first class redemption. They seem best as keeper cards that give the cardholder a certain level of "status" with the airline, without having to actually fly the miles to earn it. 

I do wish there was a bit more coverage about premium cards having various credits like Global Entry, Saks, airline incidental...

Overall, I think it was a pretty good article and did a fine job in explaining a good portion of the travel rewards credit game. 

Message 3 of 11
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Jumped out at me that it said that cards range up to $550... with the new changes to AmEx Platinum, that's $695 for a mainstream premium travel card.

SD - Biz -
Message 4 of 11
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

The article does a decent job at some of the basics, but I would expand a bit and explain the differences between primary and secondary rental car coverages, and at least mention the workings of chip+pin use in other parts of the world. 

Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

The article does a decent job at some of the basics, but I would expand a bit and explain the differences between primary and secondary rental car coverages, and at least mention the workings of chip+pin use in other parts of the world. 

I am not sure who these are aimed at.   I think way too little detail for most of the myfico crowd, maybe useful enough for those looking with less familiarity

Message 6 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@quikj9 wrote:

I think the article did a fairly good job of breaking down the difference between co-branded and flexible point travel cards. Though, I don't necessarily think that cobrands are best for a first class redemption. They seem best as keeper cards that give the cardholder a certain level of "status" with the airline, without having to actually fly the miles to earn it. 

Right, a lot of the cobrands (especially airlines) offer very little rewards for purchases not on that partner.   In contrast, if UR/MR/TYP transfer to your partner of choice, there are a family of cards allowing enhanced rewards for many different purchases.    IMO, cobrands are good for status (where applicable) and for things like free luggage, which can be very expensive with large groups.   For frequent loyal fliers with status this is less important, as the status often comes with these perks.

Message 7 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

The articles are obviously for general public, but there is nothing stopping any of you from further expanding for those who are looking for additional information. 

Show off a little 

Message 8 of 11
bilwilvegas
Regular Contributor

Great overview for someone new to travel cards and gives them direction for further research.  Thank you for sharing this!

Bill

Message 9 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

Wouldn't recommend co-brand cards in most cases to somebody new to travel cards. General travel cards are typically a much better value with flexibility and ability to earn points through a broader range of bonus categories. Anyone who really wants to get into travel cards needs to do a whole lot of research before they start applying and they need to understand that earning miles is the easiest part of the equation. Redeeming and getting real value for the points requires time, flexibility and patience. If you think you are going to be redeeming a first class trip for a family of five you need to check your expectations at the door. There are devaluations, rule changes, different segment policies from airline to airline, surcharges, point expirations etc. Lot of things to be aware of. These loyalty programs like to make it difficult for people to redeem their miles. If you don't want to spend the time figuring it all out or can't be flexible with your travel plans then a cash back card might be the way to go. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.