cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New blog article: What Are the Pros and Cons of Balance Transfers?

tag
Elizabeth_FICO
myFICO Employee

New blog article: What Are the Pros and Cons of Balance Transfers?

Hello everyone! My name is Elizabeth and I am the editor of the blog at myFICO. If there's a new blog article that I think you guys might like I plan on posting it in the Forums.

I thought you guys might like our article on balance transfers: What Are the Pros and Cons of Balance Transfers?

Let me know what you think about the article.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: New blog article: What Are the Pros and Cons of Balance Transfers?

What I'm finding really strange is getting BT offers from lenders that typically aren't BT happy past the initial approval, but those who made BTs their bread and butter have taken them away. 

Message 2 of 18
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios Exactly! I've received offers from a couple of lenders lately who I know will drop the hammer the minute I actually use it.
Message 3 of 18
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Penfed lives in my wallet for one sole purpose in life.... B friggin T! 

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 4 of 18
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@JR_TX PenFed's standing 0/3/12 is nice when you need it.  No need for wait for an offer or invitation...it's just a constant with them.  

Message 5 of 18
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@JR_TX PenFed's standing 0/3/12 is nice when you need it.  No need for wait for an offer or invitation...it's just a constant with them.  

Not having PenFed please explain 0/3//12, do not understand ?

Message 6 of 18
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

Not having PenFed please explain 0/3//12, do not understand ?

0% APR / 3% BT Fee / 12 months anytime. 24/7 no need for an offer to pop up!

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 7 of 18
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

My favorite way of transferring a balance is not by using balance transfers.

• Open a new rewards/points card that has 0% intro APR.
  • Whatever the amount of balance I want to transfer to it is, I charge that much daily spending to it, earning points/rewards.
  • Instead of paying off the balance on the new card, pay it to the old card.
  • Voila, balance has moved from old card to new card, earning rewards and avoiding BT fees Smiley Happy

I did that back when CFU had 15mo 0% intro APR and 3% cashback for the first year. Instead of paying BT fees, I earned 3% when I shifted my balance from another card over to it.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 8 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

My favorite way of transferring a balance is not by using balance transfers.

• Open a new rewards/points card that has 0% intro APR.
  • Whatever the amount of balance I want to transfer to it is, I charge that much daily spending to it, earning points/rewards.
  • Instead of paying off the balance on the new card, pay it to the old card.
  • Voila, balance has moved from old card to new card, earning rewards and avoiding BT fees Smiley Happy

I did that back when CFU had 15mo 0% intro APR and 3% cashback for the first year. Instead of paying BT fees, I earned 3% when I shifted my balance from another card over to it.

How does that work in general?   Let's say I have $30K of debt on a 29.9% APR card.   If I was lucky, I could pay say a 4% BT fee and transfer the entire amount to a card with a much lower APR.

Now my daily spend is very low (partly because of all that debt!).  So if I am spending $500 a month, and I move  all that spend to the new 0% card and use most of the $500 to pay off the high APR card, I'm really not making much progress.

I must be missing something!

Message 9 of 18
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

I think it would only work if your spend relative to the debt is high enough to "transfer" it relatively quickly.  Sounds like a good idea when that's the case, though.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.