Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New card suggestions

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

New card suggestions

I plan to finalize a new autoloan soon and afterward, shop a few cards, preferably with a high SUB. Not sure how the banks consider the inquiries from autoloan but hope they identify them as autoloan but not CC. I am less fan of prime travel cards with high AF (due to future uncertainty due to covid), unless they can get PCed to cards with less or no AF. Fico8~800, 4/12, 5/24 and I become 4/24 soon. Which cards do you recommend (among this list or some other cards)? Do I qualify for these cards (considering that I will have a few recent inquiries for autoloan)?

• PenFed pathfinder: SUB~50k (~3-4x travel).
  • Citi Premier: SUB~60k (AF not waived in first year). Is it feasible to PC it to Custom Cash in the second year?
  • Citi Custom Cash: SUB~200$ (5% categories), no AF.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
4 REPLIES 4
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Re: New card suggestions

Citi Rewards+ has a historically good 20,000 SUB at the moment.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 2 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@xenon3030 wrote:

I plan to finalize a new autoloan soon and afterward, shop a few cards, preferably with a high SUB. Not sure how the banks consider the inquiries from autoloan but hope they identify them as autoloan but not CC. I am less fan of prime travel cards with high AF (due to future uncertainty due to covid), unless they can get PCed to cards with less or no AF. Fico8~800, 4/12, 5/24 and I become 4/24 soon. Which cards do you recommend (among this list or some other cards)? Do I qualify for these cards (considering that I will have a few recent inquiries for autoloan)?

• PenFed pathfinder: SUB~50k (~3-4x travel).
  • Citi Premier: SUB~60k (AF not waived in first year). Is it feasible to PC it to Custom Cash in the second year?
  • Citi Custom Cash: SUB~200$ (5% categories), no AF.

Just one thing to note on the bolded piece. Inquiries are inquiries. A lender will see them individually regardless and doesn't differentiate from vehicle financing or CCs. It's up to their algorithms how they evaluate them internally. For scoring purposes, auto finance or mortgage inquiries are binned together provided they're coded correctly and within a specific timeframe.

Message 3 of 5
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Last year, I had plenty of mortgage inquiries. After finalizing it, I applied for a few cards and all got accepted, except Citi (CSR said that they rely on EQ and since inquiries were not coded as mortgage, my chance would be low to get approved within the entire year). So, this time I may check EQ and if the autoloan iquiries would not code correctly, I may postpone Citi cards to the next year.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 4 of 5
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

Last year, I had plenty of mortgage inquiries. After finalizing it, I applied for a few cards and all got accepted, except Citi (CSR said that they rely on EQ and since inquiries were not coded as mortgage, my chance would be low to get approved within the entire year). So, this time I may check EQ and if the autoloan iquiries would not code correctly, I may postpone Citi cards to the next year.

I dunno. I was sitting on 12-15 inquires over a two year period and was approved for a Citi Premier three months after close.

But I didn't shop around on rate. I just worked an existing relationship with a non-bank lender figuring I would refinance in 6 months anyways. How wrong was I on that one? I could of paid another point and got 2.875% over 3% and now I wish I did. The non-bank lender did the shopping around for me. Shot me a cadlestick MBS chart to be able to time the rates most effectively.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.