Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New credit card from Uber 4% on dining

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: New credit card from Uber 4% on dining

@Anonymous wrote:

And berating people that want the additional 1% is just not the right way to go about this either.

Pros: You get more money back from what you spend over other cards that offer less.

Cons: You have to have a creditor that CLD'ed someone once before. 

It's pretty easy. If you don't want extra money, don't apply. If you do, apply. If you think not applying hurts Barclays feelings, don't apply. If you realize that Barclays is a piece of paper that doesn't care about your feelings, apply. Easy-peasy.

No one's berating you for not wanting to get it. And as I pointed out before, there are plenty of ways to save that are more effective than the marginal 1-2% return on a credit card. There may not be any extra money there for people with certain habits.

But you are right, if someone doesn't want the "extra money" generated by the marginal return, they shouldn't apply. Just like you don't want the extra money saved by other methods and therefore don't follow them. But I find it ironic for someone who won't follow other methods that save more money to accuse people who do of not wanting "extra money." That's all.

Message 71 of 138
yfan
Valued Contributor

dyn085 wrote: 

And fasting, when done correctly, won't require camel genes nor extreme medical costs. 

I thought we were talking about lifestyles and longrunning practices here. You exact words were that you didn't want your LIFE to go that way. So yes, if you try eating once a day every other day for life or even for a significantly long period of time, you will need camel genes or incur extreme medical costs *.

Message 72 of 138
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And berating people that want the additional 1% is just not the right way to go about this either.

Pros: You get more money back from what you spend over other cards that offer less.

Cons: You have to have a creditor that CLD'ed someone once before. 

It's pretty easy. If you don't want extra money, don't apply. If you do, apply. If you think not applying hurts Barclays feelings, don't apply. If you realize that Barclays is a piece of paper that doesn't care about your feelings, apply. Easy-peasy.

No one's berating you for not wanting to get it. And as I pointed out before, there are plenty of ways to save that are more effective than the marginal 1-2% return on a credit card. There may not be any extra money there for people with certain habits.

But you are right, if someone doesn't want the "extra money" generated by the marginal return, they shouldn't apply. Just like you don't want the extra money saved by other methods and therefore don't follow them. But I find it ironic for someone who won't follow other methods that save more money to accuse people who do of not wanting "extra money." That's all.

That's not irony.

Again, your attempts at money-saving ideas are not the same as simply using a different card that earns better rewards. I can't make this any simpler. This has nothing to do with finding the most effective possible savings, and arguing that simply to argue does no one any good.

Message 73 of 138
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

dyn085 wrote: 

And fasting, when done correctly, won't require camel genes nor extreme medical costs. 

I thought we were talking about lifestyles and longrunning practices here. You exact words were that you didn't want your LIFE to go that way. So yes, if you try eating once a day every other day for life or even for a significantly long period of time, you will need camel genes or incur extreme medical costs *.

Ah, I didn't realize we were getting that pedantic.

Yes, you can fast correctly for the rest of your life. It's actually been proven to extend overall years, so you would technically have to fast longer than just eating all ridiculously like most Americans do. Luckily, no need for camel genes or extreme medical costs. Just do some research.

Message 74 of 138
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, you can fast correctly for the rest of your life. It's actually been proven to extend overall years, so you would technically have to fast longer than just eating all ridiculously like most Americans do. Luckily, no need for camel genes or extreme medical costs. Just do some research.

We are not talking about just any kind of fasting here. I'm fairly well read-up on this subject. We are talking about your specific kind. My point, to be specific, is that your way is incorrect. One meal every other day. In the way that saves money (i.e. if that one meal costs the same as 6 normal meals, that's not really saving money). That will guarantee you a hospital bed. Although, I would advise that you do not try this at home.

Message 75 of 138
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

We are not talking about just any kind of fasting here. I'm fairly well read-up on this subject. We are talking about your specific kind. My point, to be specific, is that your way is incorrect. One meal every other day. In the way that saves money (i.e. if that one meal costs the same as 6 normal meals, that's not really saving money). That will guarantee you a hospital bed. Although, I would advise that you do not try this at home.

Ah, we're trying to get the thread shut down. I get it now. 

Message 76 of 138
digitek
Established Contributor

Hey guys,

Not sure if you've ever been here before, but welcome to the Internet! It is a fun and exciting place. There is only one rule:

You don't get into fights on the Internet. No one will ever win and you will waste a lot of everyone's time, including your own and you will end up looking stupid yourself. There is only one way to win an Internet argument - you don't get into it in the first place. If you find yourself about to start writing some 4 point rebuttal about why someone else is wrong on the Internet you just step back from the computer, make yourself a drink and realize the futility of it all.

Enjoy!

Message 77 of 138
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Is this a Uber thread? Smiley Wink
Message 78 of 138
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am beginning to think some posters work for Amex and Chase. If this card has a lot of airline transfer partners it will blow other travel cards out of the water.

Maybe Chase and Amex will have to eliminate annual fees on PRG and CSP to stay relevant.
Message 79 of 138
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I am beginning to think some posters work for Amex and Chase. If this card has a lot of airline transfer partners it will blow other travel cards out of the water.

Maybe Chase and Amex will have to eliminate annual fees on PRG and CSP to stay relevant.

This is wishful thinking and very speculative. For starters:

1. The card was advertised as cashback, so why would it convert to points available for transfer shortly after launch?

2. Barclays doesn't have the same airline transfer partners of American Express or Chase today, on any of their cards. How would these relationships suddenly appear to enable Barclays to make transfers available in the first place?

3. Furthermore, what incentive does Barclays have to negotiate these relationships for a card with no AF even on the very unlikely chance they did manage to win over a lot of airlines?

To think that this card is going to have the transfer partners found on cards issued by competitor banks ignores logical assumptions. This is why nobody else is holding their breath that this is going to blow other travel cards out of the water.

Message 80 of 138
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.