cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New credit file What cards should I apply for and in what order?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New credit file What cards should I apply for and in what order?

I have a new credit file at 19.

My current scores are EQ 608 TU 619 EX 626

I have three cards Capital one Platnum and Quick Silver with $300 credit limit each. My longest open card is 10 mos

What cards should I apply for and in what order?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New credit file What cards should I apply for and in what order?

Discover It!

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Btw did you try requesting CLI's on either of them. I would recommend trying that first. You can do that online from your acc. 

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forum! And congrats on establishing a credit profile at such a young age. You currently have some good cards in your arsenal. As far as what to apply for. I would hold off until the scores climb up a little bit more towards 640 and higher. Reason being is that you just don't want to apply to get a card. You also want to qualify for the best terms and SUB. And if your goal is to establish strong relationships with a specific lender of choice, it's best to show them first that you are able to manage credit. Your scores alone are just one factor in the approval process. Your age, income, and other factors would also come into play, the more history you put into your existing accounts, (e.g. On time payments, usage history, reduced inquiries) the better odds of getting approved for a prime credit card. 

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply. Once my numbers hit 640 what cards should I consider to apply for first? I'm trying to create a spreadsheet and I will apply once numbers hit a certain threshhold. 

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you and I applied but they require additional proof of residency I cannot get due to my student status.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have tried for CLI and nothing is approved yet

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover seems to be a great starter card for most of us who has a thin file. If you are a student, you can apply for their Student card and gradually build some history with 3 cards reporting, and as your profile gets stronger and your scores higher, then you can try for other prime lenders such as Chase, AMEX, Citibank etc. 

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you and I applied but they require additional proof of residency I cannot get due to my student status.

What did you app for?

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Assuming its discover, what documents did they ask you. If you have a banking acc, set it to your current address and use that as your proof of address. You can use your Driver's License as well. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.