Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fees in the cards from credit companies

tag
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

New fees in the cards from credit companies

Consumers soon could find themselves charged for a lost or second card, for paper statements and even for not using their card enough or for making too many calls to customer service.

Some issuers have started charging from $1 to $5 for customer service calls beyond a certain limit per billing cycle, Mr. Hammer said.

More cardholders also are being hit with fees ranging from $5 to $15 for not using their cards often enough, sometimes when their accounts are inactive for as little as three months, he said.

Card issuers also have been raising traditional fees not subject to federal limits.

Cash advance fees, for example, which used to be 1 percent to 2 percent of the transaction, are now as high as 5 percent, he said.

So-called default interest rates -- the penalty rates that consumers pay when they are late more than once making payments -- also have been heading higher, with some as high as 30 percent, he said.

Card companies have been tightening the screws to make up for the loss in revenue triggered by the Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009.

Provisions of the act, most of which took effect

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/business/news/new-fees-in-the-cards-from-credit-companies-672537...

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

Re: New fees in the cards from credit companies

"New types of fees that could begin to catch on, he said, include charges for custom card designs and for when customers request an increase in their credit limit."

A fee for requesting a CLI? Get ready for some ruckus around here!

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 2 of 6
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Anyone who charges me a fee to replace a worn out card can take that card and shove it.
Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 3 of 6
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:
Anyone who charges me a fee to replace a worn out card can take that card and shove it.

I can't see any prime lenders charging customers for replacement cards, they want working cards in the hands of there customers all the time.... just missing one or two days worth of charges cost them way more than the card

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 4 of 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The only card i could see there being a charge for a replacement, would be the palladium since the card is actually valuable. Other than that, id rather just close the card than pay for a replacement.
Message 5 of 6
shakalaka
Established Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

Totally agree. Smiley Very Happy

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.