cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New handbag for wife. Best cashback?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New handbag for wife. Best cashback?

There's actually a very large market for used luxury handbags. The Purse Forum anyone? My LV items are several years old and I'm confident I can sell them for at the least $200 less than what I paid for them brand new. (I purchased at Nordstrom boutique btw.) Chanel and LV never go on sale. In fact, the prices only go up. I've seen beat up Speedys sell for $400+. Depending on the age the original owner may have paid less than that. They're not an investment per se, but the depreciation isn't as much as you'd think.

I wouldn't buy your wife a used bag. That's something she'd need to inspect herself to see if the use was at a level she was comfortable with. Besides if there happened to be some kind of design flaw in the bag you wouldn't be covered. And sure as heck don't buy her a fake bag. That is so rude to give to a gift recipient plus fake handbags have been linked to funding terrorism. Buy her a new one at a store using Discover on ApplePay to get the greatest amount of cashback.

Message 41 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
There's actually a very large market for used luxury handbags. The Purse Forum anyone? My LV items are several years old and I'm confident I can sell them for at the least $200 less than what I paid for them brand new. (I purchased at Nordstrom boutique btw.) Chanel and LV never go on sale. In fact, the prices only go up. I've seen beat up Speedys sell for $400+. Depending on the age the original owner may have paid less than that. They're not an investment per se, but the depreciation isn't as much as you'd think.

I wouldn't buy your wife a used bag. That's something she'd need to inspect herself to see if the use was at a level she was comfortable with. And sure as heck don't buy her a fake bag. That is so rude to give to a gift recipient plus fake handbags have been linked to funding terrorism. Buy her a new one at a store using ApplePay to get the greatest amount of cashback.

It would be a heck of a way to serve divorce papers. Smiley LOL

(I'm not a lawyer but I expect it would look bad before a judge, and fake bags are a serious criminal problem.)

Message 42 of 52
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

LOL   this is so funny but OMG do NOT buy her a used handbag or a fake one!  Fake bags are actually illegal to buy AND sell.  Just because someone buys or sells one dosen't make it legal...look that up.

Get LV from a LV boutique or, go through their website.  Chanel, buy only though  a Chanel boutique. Use the Discover to do it because it should absolutely count as a department store.If you don't have one in your state, you can call them and they can and will ship it to you.  But FYI, you may want to let discover know beforehand that you'll be making a big purchase.

My LV is now worth more than I paid for it because its in prisitne condition.  I maybe carried it 10 times at most since I had it.  The Chanel, well, at this point lets just say I rented it for about 300 bucks.  It was a LE and when those sell out prices for them can go through the roof.

Be glad she didn't ask for an Hermes Kelly...lol

Message 43 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking using discover card to find discover deal, like Nordstrom or Macy's, because you'll probably get discover deal 5% + department store 5% cash back.
I remember my mom came back from Vegas with her new 3k chanel handbag 😱, well I'm not at that level to spend thousands, buuuuuuuut I can definitely raid my mom's closet for her old handbags that she doesn't use anymore 😁 (latest loot was 1k Michael kors bag)
Anyway, I remember one stand up comic saying this "women only upgrade, never downgrade" 😁 so don't over do it by buying her a Hermès bag 😆
Message 44 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chanel won't allow you to order by phone unless you're already an established customer.
-Signed, Someone Who Has No Chanel in Her State :-(
Message 45 of 52
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

I honestly never had that problem.  I mean ok first thing I ordered from chanel boutique was an exclusive perfume. After that time I ordered a handbag.  It wa s maybe a year between purchases? But at no point was I not able to order over the phone nor was I told I couldn't (but then again there's a chanel boutique in boston, but hell who knows really?)

In that case OP, if you do go with Chanel, check first...lol

The only time I had an issue was ordering from Trussardi, but even that was cleared up quickly with a call to the card company.

Message 46 of 52
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Don't listen to any of those pushing fake purses or any those illegal products. Your wife isn't fake and you wouldn't treat her like she is, if your budget allows it and you've got a chance to make a life long memory thats worth more than any pricetag. Follow your plan you'll do just fine. Smiley Happy

Message 47 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

If anyone purchased a fake ANYTHING for me my relationship with them would be over. That's just an insult. Anyone who suggested the OP buy his wife a fake should be ashamed. First of all it's fake and the quality is nothing like the original. Second of all fakes support things like child labor and terrorism. Absolutely NOT!

OP Louis Vuitton stores are sometimes located in Saks 5th Avenue stores. Look up the LV stores near you on their website. Also Macy's in NY (one of them) has or had an LV store in it. Some Neiman Marcus stores have them as well. Just do a bit of research.

Good luck!
Message 48 of 52
krisssmmm
Regular Contributor

O/t, but I've brought second hand bags, and I would def do it again b/c I like expensive bags. Thankfully, LV and Chanel aren't on my list, but I do love Chloe and I can't see myself spending 1-2k just bc it's new. I would spend $600-$800 depending on gently used. Nordstrom even sells refurbished bags for 60% off at their rack stores.

Message 49 of 52
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@chbartel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Be happy wife like hand bag... If ur wife like expensive car it's worst!!

hahah, I saw your other post about the $500k in car loans Smiley Happy

I'm glad my wife only wanted an Infiniti QX56...

And he's pinching on gas in his other thread lol 

Message 50 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.