cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here HI :) Should I trie for another card and if so which?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New here HI :) Should I trie for another card and if so which?

Hello,   I currently hold a 605 experian is my highest with walmart capital one card, this just showed up in the us mail as an offer with a referal code so I applied and was given 300 limit, I know it not much but to me it the world as its a start, I also just last week got $300 fingerhut. I also have things like starz, hulu, comcast, at&t, ect  showing a good standing exceptional on my credit and this is for last or over last 6 months. I own my own house, only own due to a settlement and paid cash for my house. I live on a fixed social security disability income. Just had another back surgery last week too but my disability is mental illness. but I do sell on fb marketplace so have extra income there too.I really want one more card with an under or 350 to 500 limit as this is all I can make payments on, Currently I am reusing then repaying off my capital one credit card off like 3 to 4 times a month to just use it online, hey it got me free 15 dollars of points that I cashed in form that 15 bucks lol Smiley Happy  So advice, should I trie for another card and if so which? or should I wait? and how can I build credit, I have tried to read and read all I know to do is pay on time, and keep credit utilation low but thats about all I know. thanks and nice to meet everyone.   April

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Rockysocks
Frequent Contributor

Re: New here HI :) Should I trie for another card and if so which?

Welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

I would strongly suggest waiting and not applying for anymore cards for a while. Let your current cards age. Doing that will build your credit. And you're correct, utilization and paying on time are two of the biggest factors!

Message 2 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on the new Capital One card.  
I would suggest using this card for a few months, then check whether Capital One will give you a Credit Line Increase. Having a higher limit on the one card enables you to go more days before you have to pay it down, and potentially for an entire month, but it also keeps all your card activity on one Credit Card. It is going to be easier to stay on top of that, to not lose track of your spending, with only one card.  

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,   I currently hold a 605 experian is my highest with walmart capital one card, this just showed up in the us mail as an offer with a referal code so I applied and was given 300 limit, I know it not much but to me it the world as its a start, I also just last week got $300 fingerhut. I also have things like starz, hulu, comcast, at&t, ect  showing a good standing exceptional on my credit and this is for last or over last 6 months. I own my own house, only own due to a settlement and paid cash for my house. I live on a fixed social security disability income. Just had another back surgery last week too but my disability is mental illness. but I do sell on fb marketplace so have extra income there too.I really want one more card with an under or 350 to 500 limit as this is all I can make payments on, Currently I am reusing then repaying off my capital one credit card off like 3 to 4 times a month to just use it online, hey it got me free 15 dollars of points that I cashed in form that 15 bucks lol Smiley Happy  So advice, should I trie for another card and if so which? or should I wait? and how can I build credit, I have tried to read and read all I know to do is pay on time, and keep credit utilation low but thats about all I know. thanks and nice to meet everyone.   April

You're doing a good job, just keep on doing what you're doing.

I agree with @Rockysocks that you should hold off on any new applications for awhile, give your scores some room to grow.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 5
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there, April! 

I agree with the others, it would be a good idea to hold off on applying for more cards right now. Let the cards you have now age a little before applying again, maybe 6 months?

This will build some history and increase your scores.

Welcome to the forums!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.