Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here! Working on building more credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New here! Working on building more credit

Hey all!! I am so excited to find this. 

I just got a offer on Credit Karma for a Cap one Venture card but iffy on if i want to attempt it. Or is there another one that is better one out there that I should go to?! 

I am at a 660 ficco. I did just buy a car so i got rocked on the HQ for that (they over sent my app to the banks). I did try to get a cabelas card but they denied me.

Currently have an Becu rewards-1000, Amex Delta gold- 1000, Cap 1 plat- 1000, Cap 1 rewards- 900, Victoria Sec-  300, Mariuses- 300, Credit one rewards- 450

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: New here! Working on building more credit

I would try the pre qualify sites such as discover, citibank and yes the cap one as well.

I wouldn't get too many in a short period of time though. Grow with the ones you have and your score will continue to rise.

Is that your real FICO or CK? CK can be way off some times and is not accurate most times.

Good luck
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Don't ever listen to Credit Karma's approval odds. Their job is to get people to apply for cards.

As mentioned, try Capital One's pre-qual site. Their pre-quals are pretty solid. My gut says that a Venture might be out of reach at this point due to its $5,000 minimum credit limit. However, I think you stand a good shot at a Quicksilver or Savor.

Then again, you already have two Capital One cards, and it's possible that there could be Quicksilver or Savor product change offers on one or both of of your cards.

Message 3 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got a offer on Credit Karma for a Cap one Venture card but iffy on if i want to attempt it. Or is there another one that is better one out there that I should go to?! 

I am at a 660 ficco. I did just buy a car so i got rocked on the HQ for that (they over sent my app to the banks). I did try to get a cabelas card but they denied me.

Currently have an Becu rewards-1000, Amex Delta gold- 1000, Cap 1 plat- 1000, Cap 1 rewards- 900, Victoria Sec-  300, Mariuses- 300, Credit one rewards- 450

No you shouldn't apply for anything now, you should work on getting your scores up and letting your profile age.

Don't pay attention to CK's recommendations, which are just advertisements, or to their scores, which are Vantage 3.0 and have no connection to FICO scores.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I say get Credit One out of your life and sit on what you already have and let your score grow, applying now will risk denials or approved with more of the same toy limit cards while continuing to keep your scores down.
Message 5 of 14
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No you shouldn't apply for anything now, you should work on getting your scores up and letting your profile age.

Don't pay attention to CK's recommendations, which are just advertisements, or to their scores, which are Vantage 3.0 and have no connection to FICO scores.

I agree, no more credit unless u needed it which i wouldnt recommend at all. 

You have Amex Delta that u could ask for credit limit increase. 

Chase, Discover, Penfed also very good bank to go with since they normally start out with people with thin profile. 

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for such a long delay on the responce.... 

I have not applied for anything else. Amex did say I needed to wait 90 days to ask for an increase. Which I will at that point do. 

I saw somewhere that I should get rid of Credit one.... I have had them for only a year.... why should I get rid of it? Or should I hand onto it?! 

Message 7 of 14
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Get rid of them now, especially before the annual fee hits. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are they that bad!? I am so new to the companies I dont honestly know. And if i do toss them out what happens to my score?!

Message 9 of 14
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are they that bad!? I am so new to the companies I dont honestly know. And if i do toss them out what happens to my score?!

Are you getting charged a fee for the account? Why would you pay a fee when you have cards that don't charge one? Nothing happens to your score unless you have a high utilization on your other cards. (In 7-10 years, when the account drops from your credit report, you'll see a few points drop, depending on your overall credit profile.)

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.