Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New here and need some of the great members to chime in

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New here and need some of the great members to chime in

Hi Group!

I've been on the path for a little over a year and seem to be stuck in a groove that I feel a good number of you could lend a lil advise about...hopefully!

First, my stats

Cap1 QS1 MC at $4200 ( a little over a year old )

USAA V Siggy at $5000 ( a year old )

BB Visa at $800 (4 months old )

Kay store card $4000 (9 months old)

PP MC $1000 (almost a year) 

Fico EQ (584) TU (615) EX (639)

No baddies but I've had a ton of inquries due to app's and moving. 

Just had a baby and put some stuff on the cards..so sitting at 35% UTIL, but this is not so much of an issue as I pay pretty quickly.

My problem seems to be my scores go up 50 points or so and then drop back down...no payments missed ever!!!!! I cant seem to get them up to past 700 and I'm sure there has to be a few elemntary things either I'm doing wrong or not doing. 

I'm trying to thick'n up my profile!!!!

Any help or questions is/are welcome!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New here and need some of the great members to chime in

How many inquiries do you have? When was the last inquiry?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

8 on TU - 17 on EQ - 15 on EX

Message 3 of 10
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

Hi Richie!

I'm not a long standing expert but I will say a few things regarding your post.  If your "ton of inquiries" are all less than a yr old , this will bring down your score.  It will also make it less likely for you to get approved for any more worthwhile cards.  I would sit with what you have because they are all relatively new accounts themselves so most creditors will see you as a "risk" looking for even more credit. and deny you anyway or give you a real low CL.  It's not uncommon for your score to bounce up and down if you are carrying balances and/or incurring more inquiries/accounts.  It will settle out once your accounts age, inquiries begin dropping off or age, and your overall utilization drops...most ppl here say less than 10% total utilization is optimal.  So I would recommend #1 no more new accounts/inquiries, #2 pay down your existing balances to below the 10% threshold and keep it that way consistently and you should see less bumps up and down with your score.  Also, you didn't mention WHERE you were looking at your score, if its places like CK, CS, etc. they are FAKO scores and not a true indicator of your actual score.  They are for "estimate" purposes only.  For instance, my true FICO TU score from Discover is 737, on CK it's 721....but I've read of people here having wildly different scores on both.

Hope that helps!  And congrats on the baby!  They grow fast so enjoy every moment! Smiley Happy

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 4 of 10
SnowBowl
Frequent Contributor

Hmm, check your EQ report to see if there is any baddies on it .. I know you said no baddies but still, scores are bit low for a clean EQ

on this date 1-22-24 all 3 bureaus are currently frozen until 1-22-26
VantageScore 3.0 EQ 753
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FroggieMom wrote:

Hi Richie!

I'm not a long standing expert but I will say a few things regarding your post.  If your "ton of inquiries" are all less than a yr old , this will bring down your score.  It will also make it less likely for you to get approved for any more worthwhile cards.  I would sit with what you have because they are all relatively new accounts themselves so most creditors will see you as a "risk" looking for even more credit. and deny you anyway or give you a real low CL.  It's not uncommon for your score to bounce up and down if you are carrying balances and/or incurring more inquiries/accounts.  It will settle out once your accounts age, inquiries begin dropping off or age, and your overall utilization drops...most ppl here say less than 10% total utilization is optimal.  So I would recommend #1 no more new accounts/inquiries, #2 pay down your existing balances to below the 10% threshold and keep it that way consistently and you should see less bumps up and down with your score.  Also, you didn't mention WHERE you were looking at your score, if its places like CK, CS, etc. they are FAKO scores and not a true indicator of your actual score.  They are for "estimate" purposes only.  For instance, my true FICO TU score from Discover is 737, on CK it's 721....but I've read of people here having wildly different scores on both.

Hope that helps!  And congrats on the baby!  They grow fast so enjoy every moment! Smiley Happy

thanks FroggieMom and the scores are from MYFICO

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SnowBowl wrote:

Hmm, check your EQ report to see if there is any baddies on it .. I know you said no baddies but still, scores are bit low for a clean EQ

SnowBowl, My EQ dropped 51 points from the PP Mc going from 400 to 800 and I didnt PIF before it cut. It was a wild drop!!!!!! (this was an alert I recvd from MYFICO)

Message 7 of 10
happypill
Valued Contributor

I had a similar problem before joining myFICO, although my swings were quite as large as what you're reporting (about 30 points for me).  For me, the reason was utilization on individual cards.

So, let's say you have a $1000 limit on one of your cards, you run it all the way up or very close to $1000, let the statement cut then pay it off before the due date.  Well, in that case, it would show that you maxed out a card, even if you PIF by the due date.  The card company reports what you owe on the card at the time the statement cuts.  Having even one card at or near max util is very very bad for your score, even if your overall util across all accounts isn't too bad.  For me, some months it wouldn't cut near the limit and score would go way up, while in other months it would cut at the limit (I only had a $1k limit at the time) and score would belly flop.

The way to get around it is to pay some or all of the balance before the statement cut.  So certainly, you should be looking at your overall util, but card issuers are very concerned when even one card is maxed out (I believe anything over 90% util is considered maxed).  In their scored models, it's an early sign of trouble.  So, pay some of it before statement cut (get below 30% if possible, but definitely don't go over 50% reporting), or spread around your spending, or get some higher limits.  No secret why peopel on this board often seek a few additional cards and/or higher limits.

Good luck.

Message 8 of 10
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Do try to minimize hard inquiries.

Optimizing how much usage reports on each credit card is the main way you can influence your FICO score. Read this post and ask questions if necessary:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/How-do-I-play-the-1-9-Utilization-Game-Please-...

Do you have any open credit besides credit cards? If not, using the Alliant Share Secured loan technique might help: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

Those FICO scores are quite low. Are you sure they are FICO?

By the way, you can get a free Experian FICO score each month at creditscorecard.com

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also get a free experian credit report on experian.com, it updates every 30 days so you can monitor your account 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.