Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New information on the CHIP & PIN Card for SALLIE MAE MC Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New information on the CHIP & PIN Card for SALLIE MAE MC Card

I sent an message to Barclay Customer Service and their reply shows that the new Chip and Pin Card will be automatically sent to all card owner in the first quarter of 2016.

Here is their reply :

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Sallie Mae World MasterCard. We apologize for any inconvenience the delay of card delivery may have caused, and will be happy to explain.

Please be advised that it is our goal that the new plastic will be mailed at the first quarter of 2016. In regards to this, we ask that you review your contact information with us as soon as possible to ensure the card is sent to the right location. To do so, choose 'Your profile' located at the top right of the screen then click the 'Edit' link under the 'Address & telephone' text, should your address need updating.

The new chip-enabled card gives you a more secure and convenient way to make purchases in the U.S. and abroad. It stores your account information on a small electronic chip embedded in the card. When you make a purchase at a chip-card terminal, the chip uses encryption technology to protect your account information. This helps reduce the risk of fraud and makes your card difficult to counterfeit.

Further, if you use your chip card outside of the United States, you may be asked for a PIN to complete some transactions. This same PIN will also let you access cash at any MasterCard ATM location worldwide. To create or reset your PIN online, select the blue link on the 'Account summary' page that says 'Account settings'. Under the section titled 'Manage your PIN', select the blue link that says 'Change your PIN'. Please be advised that PINs with consecutive numbers such as 1234 or with repeating numbers such as 1111 or 1212 cannot be used because they are not secure enough.

For the security of your account, please completely destroy the old card after receiving and successfully activating the new card. As an added convenience, you may activate it by logging into your account online or contacting us at 1-0866-585-2951 to use our automated system or speak with a representative; agents are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and will be glad to assist.

For more information, you can view details about your chip and pin card by clicking the ‘Account settings’ tab and then scrolling down to the ‘Manage your PIN’ text and selecting the ‘Click here’ link. We hope you find this information helpful.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: New information on the CHIP & PIN Card for SALLIE MAE MC Card

Thanks for the information, haxuantu!

Sending out chip and pin cards so soon after getting around to sending out their chip and sig versions must be expensive.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gunnar419 wrote:

Sending out chip and pin cards so soon after getting around to sending out their chip and sig versions must be expensive.

I don't think any of this is news. The description suggests the same Chip+Sig, backup PIN CVM that's already on chipped Sallie Mae cards.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

I don't think any of this is news. The description suggests the same Chip+Sig, backup PIN CVM that's already on chipped Sallie Mae cards.

Most of Sallie Mae card owner don't have the Chip version.

Message 4 of 12
creditFiend
Established Contributor

I contacted Barclays in December '15 & requested a replacement card. The new one had the chip.
I hadn't realized they were issuing chip cards for SM.
Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditFiend wrote:
I contacted Barclays in December '15 & requested a replacement card. The new one had the chip.
I hadn't realized they were issuing chip cards for SM.

Some people have had them since at least late August 2015. I think I got mine in September or October.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wife has had a chipped SM since she applied back in August
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

I know I don't. But then I also don't have a chip version of Discover or QS.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

You should request a new one, now all banks have to provide Chip cards.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

You should request a new one, now all banks have to provide Chip cards.

That's not quite true.  There is no requirement or law that says banks have to issue chipped cards.  The law shifted credit card fraud responsibility to the entity that has the least secure process.  It's in the banks best interest to issue chipped cards but no law that says that they have to.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.