Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New store card - BJ's, Dell, HP?

tag
Martis
New Contributor

New store card - BJ's, Dell, HP?

Hi everybody!

I am looking to buy a new laptop and I want to apply for a credit to pay for it!

I don't have any store card, please advise me what is the best thing to do, where should I apply? I don't want to waste an inquiry and not get approved!

I have the money to pay it cash, but I want to have a store card to improve may credit profile!

For now I have Capital One 500$ - 18- months old,  Orchard 300$ - 16 months old, BofA - 1000$ - 13 months old.

My fico credit score is TransUnion 695 , Equifax 663.

Any advice is welcome!

Thank You

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: New store card - BJ's, Dell, HP?

Martis wrote:

Hi everybody!

I am looking to buy a new laptop and I want to apply for a credit to pay for it!

I don't have any store card, please advise me what is the best thing to do, where should I apply? I don't want to waste an inquiry and not get approved!

I have the money to pay it cash, but I want to have a store card to improve may credit profile!

For now I have Capital One 500$ - 18- months old,  Orchard 300$ - 16 months old, BofA - 1000$ - 13 months old.

My fico credit score is TransUnion 695 , Equifax 663.

Any advice is welcome!

Thank You

when i was looking for a lap top i got the Dell card, and i regret it.

for the most part better prices can be found elsewhere in every category.  Also, CIT, who backs the card is unstable. 

the only good thing about the dell card is if you want something that qualifies for zero financing, which are bigger ticket items.  there are much better options for store cards like macys, nordstrom... perhaps if you will want to buy a lot generally overpriced dell merchandise from their website for whatever reason, it may work for you, otherwise it's a bit of a wanker imo.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 8
Martis
New Contributor

Thanks score_building for your reply,

New info: 

I found a laptop that will work for me at BJ's, where I am member to! Should I apply for credit card at BJ's do you think they will aprove me.

Or can you recomand me online website (other than Dell, HP) that offer financing and I have a big chance to get approved?

Thank You

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know what area you are in,but what about Best Buy or some other electronic store(Fry's) or WalMart(GEMB)?

Good Luck

Message 4 of 8
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

If you order a computer through compusa.com or tigerdirect.com and pay for it with a Discover card (DFS issued only!) you get 5% rewards through ShopDiscover.
Message 5 of 8
Martis
New Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
If you order a computer through compusa.com or tigerdirect.com and pay for it with a Discover card (DFS issued only!) you get 5% rewards through ShopDiscover.

I don't have Discover card....sorry Smiley Sad

I applied online for BJ's card online and I get instant denial, do the shor credit history, bla, bla, bla

I call them and after 30 minutes of explanations they approved me for BJ"s VISA   250$ Smiley Very Happy not a great limit, but at least I did not waste my inquiry!!!

Is this considered a store card by CRA or is a normal credit card?

Thank You

Message 6 of 8
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

The BJ's Visa issued by Barclays Bank Delaware is a bank card, not a store card.
Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
The BJ's Visa issued by Barclays Bank Delaware is a bank card, not a store card.

To amplify, it's a store bank card because it has the Visa logo on it. Any card with Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or AmEx on it is a bank card, whether it also has the name of a store or oil/gas company or not.

The plain Sears card is a store card; the Sears Mastercard is a bank card. The red Target card is a store card; the Target Visa is a bank card. Etc.

eta: D'oh! Smiley Surprised That's what I get for posting while on the phone with my mother. Thanks, CWCID!
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 10-02-2009 06:20 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.