Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to AMEX Platinum

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to AMEX Platinum

Just got my American Express Platinum card in the mail today.

What benefits should I activate first? 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to AMEX Platinum

Message 2 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

That's a good overview, but they left out car rental elite status which can be a big one!  Amex Platinum discounts on car rentals have been better for me than any others I've tried (by at least $50-100 per rental) and I've been getting German luxury sedans for Kia prices.

Go to the Membership - Benefits tab in your online account and you'll see links for everything.  Also if you plan to add an authorized user (or 3 for the same price), it's best to wait until you get a targeted offer of Membership Rewards points for doing so.

Message 3 of 13
iced
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

That's a good overview, but they left out car rental elite status which can be a big one!  Amex Platinum discounts on car rentals have been better for me than any others I've tried (by at least $50-100 per rental) and I've been getting German luxury sedans for Kia prices.

Go to the Membership - Benefits tab in your online account and you'll see links for everything.  Also if you plan to add an authorized user (or 3 for the same price), it's best to wait until you get a targeted offer of Membership Rewards points for doing so.

I'd like to hear more about these discounts. While I don't have the Platinum, I do have or have had Emerald Club (National), President's Circle (Hertz), and President's Club (Avis) and have never once received a BMW/Audi/Mercedes for the intermediate/mid-size price (where a Kia would be) so I know this isn't due to status.

Message 4 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@iced wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I'd like to hear more about these discounts. While I don't have the Platinum, I do have or have had Emerald Club (National), President's Circle (Hertz), and President's Club (Avis) and have never once received a BMW/Audi/Mercedes for the intermediate/mid-size price (where a Kia would be) so I know this isn't due to status.

The National Emerald Club Executive also carries over to Enterprise; I got a BMW 328i last year at SFO by reserving a "Luxury" car for the mid-size price.  I have a confirmed Mercedes-Benz C300 (P4 car type) at ORD next month through Hertz (Gold Plus, not President's Circle unfortunately).  I haven't tested out Avis yet (Preferred status, not President's Club).  On the Car Rental Privileges page of the Amex Platinum membership benefits there are coupon codes, plus when you tie the card to your accounts with those rental companies there is a corporate discount code tied to booking with the Amex Platinum that results in certain discounts and pricing options.

Message 5 of 13
iced
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

The National Emerald Club Executive also carries over to Enterprise; I got a BMW 328i last year at SFO by reserving a "Luxury" car for the mid-size price.  I have a confirmed Mercedes-Benz C300 (P4 car type) at ORD next month through Hertz (Gold Plus, not President's Circle unfortunately).  I haven't tested out Avis yet (Preferred status, not President's Club).  On the Car Rental Privileges page of the Amex Platinum membership benefits there are coupon codes, plus when you tie the card to your accounts with those rental companies there is a corporate discount code tied to booking with the Amex Platinum that results in certain discounts and pricing options.

Bear with me for a few more questions.

The SFO rental I'll chalk up to a lucky hit, particularly being SFO where things are already elite-heavy.

For the ORD rental, how are you seeing exactly what car you're getting that far in advance? When I book a mid-size, I find out what car I'm getting via text when I land and my name's up on the board (at most places, some smaller airports I'm still visiting a counter to get keys). Did you book this as a mid-size and they instant-upgraded you months in advance, or was this a Prestige rental from the beginning? I don't know how else 5-Star is getting a P4 a month in advance on a mid-size booking when PC doesn't.

Corp rates make sense; I suspect they're the same corp rates I'm seeing through employer since they book through American Express Travel. I imagine they're using the combined purchasing to leverage discounts for both corporations and Platinum holders, and my experience has been corp discounts are pretty much on par with each other within that channel. They're not significant, maybe 30% or so. I still pay $250ish per week for a mid-size, though I'll often get a full-size or a SUV (though if they put me in a SUV I go to the counter to go back to a sedan).

Message 6 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@iced wrote:

Bear with me for a few more questions.

The SFO rental I'll chalk up to a lucky hit, particularly being SFO where things are already elite-heavy.

For the ORD rental, how are you seeing exactly what car you're getting that far in advance? When I book a mid-size, I find out what car I'm getting via text when I land and my name's up on the board (at most places, some smaller airports I'm still visiting a counter to get keys). Did you book this as a mid-size and they instant-upgraded you months in advance, or was this a Prestige rental from the beginning? I don't know how else 5-Star is getting a P4 a month in advance on a mid-size booking when PC doesn't.

Corp rates make sense; I suspect they're the same corp rates I'm seeing through employer since they book through American Express Travel. I imagine they're using the combined purchasing to leverage discounts for both corporations and Platinum holders, and my experience has been corp discounts are pretty much on par with each other within that channel. They're not significant, maybe 30% or so. I still pay $250ish per week for a mid-size, though I'll often get a full-size or a SUV (though if they put me in a SUV I go to the counter to go back to a sedan).

No problem at all answering the questions!  It reminds me of another reason why the Platinum card (and AU fee) pays for itself even if I don't really put that much spend on it (Amex Offers, rare rentals, and airfare).  At SFO, I had a Luxury class reservation (which was priced the same as mid-size due to the Amex corporate code and Amex coupon code.  When I landed, my options were a number of Cadillac XTS and a duet of BMW 328i, so I chose one of the BMWs.  As for the ORD rental, yes it was a Prestige rental when I booked it back in January.

I think the difference here is that these are special rates on the reservation itself, not upgrades due to status at the time of rental.  So for instance, it might have $250/week for a midsize, $350/week for a full-size, $475/week for a SUV, $250/week for luxury, or $250/week for Prestige as the options when booking.  FWIW the same Amex discounts have me in an Intermediate for 5 days in Cancun for $47, which is less than a round-trip cab from the airport to the hotel for the 4 of us.  I tested other corporate codes from elite status elsewhere (and a few "found" codes) and the Amex Platinum corporate was always noticably cheaper.

Message 7 of 13
iced
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I think the difference here is that these are special rates on the reservation itself, not upgrades due to status at the time of rental.  So for instance, it might have $250/week for a midsize, $350/week for a full-size, $475/week for a SUV, $250/week for luxury, or $250/week for Prestige as the options when booking.  FWIW the same Amex discounts have me in an Intermediate for 5 days in Cancun for $47, which is less than a round-trip cab from the airport to the hotel for the 4 of us.  I tested other corporate codes from elite status elsewhere (and a few "found" codes) and the Amex Platinum corporate was always noticably cheaper.

That discount isn't that far off, depending on day of week and time of year. Most weekday rentals are to business travelers who by policy have to get mid-size or full-size (or SUV if >X number traveling together), so the demand goes up and thus the price for those tiers. The demand for prestige/luxury is much lower since it's limited to vacationers/personal travelers and those who can book off-policy, thus they may lower the price to push. For weekends, things equalize since business demand drops.

In warm vacation hotspots like Hawaii, you'll see convertible classes often price out much higher and full-size or luxury be deeply discounted because the demand is for jeeps and convertibles, not sedans. I think these are good examples, but I'm also thinking they may be as much a product of good timing and price hunting as they are a unique perk of the Platinum. Out of curiousity, I checked my (non-Platinum) rate for Cancun for 5 days during a random week in July and can book an intermediate for $49, in-line with your estimate.

I'm not saying that the Platinum doesn't offer a discount on rentals, but I'm going to remain skeptical that it's a game-changingly deep discount by itself. If it was, a lot more businesses would be issuing Platinums to their employees instead of green/gold, and almost every traveler would be carrying the Platinum. This would be all over TPG and DoC as a headlining perk similar to the 4th night free on Prestige. If it was, I'd stop tearing up all their 100k mailers and get one too. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't seen discounts with Platinum being cheaper than other discounts.  I found the cheapest was booking my last Avis rental through Expedia.  

The one thing you want to do is choose your airline and then wait a few days and get your airline gift cards.  And then do it again in January. 400 dollars of airline gift cards the first year is the biggest perk.  The lounges are Ok.  And vary from getting a beer and a stale sandwich to getting gourment food and signature cocktails.  

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sigh I would just love this card for one year free lol I can't justify the annual fee. My BCP is all I have annual fee. Id love the plat though. If the gold card was metal, id probably go for it 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.