cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to America - When can I apply for Chase cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to America - When can I apply for Chase cards?

Hey all, I moved to the US recently and have been trying to get established, credit-wise. So far I have been able to get the following unsecured CCs:

Generic bank Visa: CL $3000, opened Nov/18
AMEX BCE: CL $9000, opened Jan/19

Right now I have no FICO score and TU VantageScore is showing as 687. My main goal at this time is to get some of the better Chase cards such as Amazon Prime, CFU and someday maybe even the CSR before I hit 5/24. How long should I wait before applying for these cards? Is there anything I can do to improve approval odds?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: New to America - When can I apply for Chase cards?

Wait till your oldest card is at least a year old. You may get approved before that, but if you do, it will almost certainly  be under less than desirable terms. 

Good luck 

Message 2 of 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

Wait till your oldest card is at least a year old. You may get approved before that, but if you do, it will almost certainly  be under less than desirable terms. 

Good luck 

+1 chase usually likes to see at least 1 year of credit history

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not only wait for a year, ask also for SP CLI's on both of your current cards. Make sure you check prequal page before you apply in a year from now.

Message 4 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

OT, but was the BCE a global transfer?   Seems a good limit with no credit history!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that was a Global Transfer - otherwise I would have to start from nothing with secured cards which would not very ideal...

Thanks all for your advice, looks like I have a lot of waiting to do!
Message 6 of 10
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Only way to shortcut is if you possibly have a family member in the States add you as an AU.

[2/2019]
Message 7 of 10
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes that was a Global Transfer - otherwise I would have to start from nothing with secured cards which would not very ideal...

Thanks all for your advice, looks like I have a lot of waiting to do!

A year in this country flies by, so much to do and see.

Some good and solid advice given by the other guys here, wait that year then have at it.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 8 of 10
CramEiko
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Good luck 

+1

How does the global transfer work?  Is there lag time or does it start reporting from date of transfer? That's way better than starting from ground zero in a new place.

Good Luck!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made the mistake of applying to Chase too early in my own history. I got greedy. I had gotten an Amex through Global Transfer as well, and then I had gotten a BoA card by going into the local branch and then a visa from FirstTech (a local credit union). I got ahead of myself, thought I was doing great, had a >720 score and applied for Chase Amazon card online thinking I was killing it. 

Instant denial.

Follow people's advice and wait a year. All my early approvals were "relationship" based and when I put the online app through to get credit purely on my report and particularly from a tough lender like Chase I just wasn't there yet and so I took that HP for nothing.

Also when you do apply I highly recommend going into the branch instead of applying online. For the major banks (CITI, BoA, Chase) it seems that sometimes the relationship manager in the branch can pull some strings if they see good things and especially if you set up a bank account with direct deposit and show them your offer letter, etc. A lot of them have programs just for people who've relocated to the US for employment.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.