Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Discover...Cardholders, need feedback please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to Discover...Cardholders, need feedback please

@pizza1 wrote:

hey everyone!  I just recently got in with Discover, (iT card), and I didnt really follow the Discover posts much because frankly, I didnt think Id ever get approved.

Anyways..... Need to know when you can request a cli on the card, and is it a HP or SP?

How long should I wait since Ijust got approved to try for my FIRST EVER cli on the card....3, 6, 9, 12 months?

How are they with auto cli?

What do they like to see besides usage? bal/no bal at statement cut? 

Any tips or tricks ( I think read somewhere that you can call the automated line for a cli, and if it transfers you to a rep hang up??)  whats that about? 

thanks for commenting, I plan to treat them well, just need a little help from peeps that already have themSmiley Happy

Wow, I need to take a breath. Smiley Wink

Since you didn't bring any info with you from your 'approvals' thread, I had to go look that up.

Don't be afraid to bump your initial credit limit within the first couple of months, I believe this is key to getting 'auto CLI's' from Discover. Do you have a 0% intro offer and if so, how long? My point being, leaving a small balance for the first couple of months won't hurt either.

I would suggest making it your daily driver, even with the places you have the 8 retail cards, charge anything and everything you are going to buy anyways and pay the puppy each month. You don't have a big initial CL, so even making payments twice a month wouldn't hurt if need be.

I've never had to 'request' a CLI, we'll see this year as my 6 months(3 yrs.) will be here at the end of March. But if I was going to request one that would make a difference in your case, I would call the number on the back of the card to initiate it. Discover, and it's not just my opinion, have some of the most respectable CSR's in the business. If they can do something for you, they will. And the first thing out of my mouth, in your case would be to request a lower interest rate after six months of usage, then let the conversation evolve into a CLI.

CLI's aren't everything. A relationship is what it's about to me and with the billions of dollars valuation that Amex has lost over the last couple of days, Discover will take over the top spot for just about any category that matters. So you seemed to have 'coveted' a Discover card, now build that relationship with them Lady. Use it, make them a little money and show them you are in it for the long haul.

All the Best

Message 11 of 17
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

hey everyone!  I just recently got in with Discover, (iT card), and I didnt really follow the Discover posts much because frankly, I didnt think Id ever get approved.

Anyways..... Need to know when you can request a cli on the card, and is it a HP or SP?

How long should I wait since Ijust got approved to try for my FIRST EVER cli on the card....3, 6, 9, 12 months?

How are they with auto cli?

What do they like to see besides usage? bal/no bal at statement cut? 

Any tips or tricks ( I think read somewhere that you can call the automated line for a cli, and if it transfers you to a rep hang up??)  whats that about? 

thanks for commenting, I plan to treat them well, just need a little help from peeps that already have themSmiley Happy

90 days is what CSR told me, I got an auto CLI around the 2 1/2 month mark of getting the card however though I do put quite a bit through it. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 12 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

How much is the secret Discover CL that pizza got? APR?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 17
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Lol... I didn't get a "secret cl", I posted in the approvals and my limit was in there. It's $800, apr 22%.... It's a startSmiley Happy

Thank you everyone for the tips!
Message 14 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
Lol... I didn't get a "secret cl", I posted in the approvals and my limit was in there. It's $800, apr 22%.... It's a startSmiley Happy

Thank you everyone for the tips!

Ok, so with that limit for sure my recommendation would be to use all of it regularly and PIF after it reports on the statement. I took advantage of a 12-month 0% APR plus temporary CLI to $8k, maxed that out to $7,700 and then got the "Spend $1k get $100 back" after that, and the balance went back up to $7,300, and a 0% APR purchase time period to boot. People who lightly use their Discover card may get CLI, but it seems Discover likes heavy usage.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 15 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Discover likes usage if you want an auto CLI. They will give you one if you use it heavily. I can almost guarantee it.

CLI's with them are SP or HP. They'll try to give you SP; if they can't approve it they will ask for a HP. They evidently like me, because I've never had to take a HP and every few months I get another $1-2K.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.