Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to NFCU Credit Card Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to NFCU Credit Card Advice

After trolling the forums for awhile and trying a few suggestions ( Barclays, Discover etc.), I've decided that to reach my credit goals I need NFCU in my back pocket. My husband's parents opened a savings account for him when he was a baby and he closed it when he was 18. I re-established his membership and opened one for myself yesterday. 

My situation is this: I am 30 months post-Chapter 7 (he did not file) and I really want an NFCU card. I opened 4 cards in the past month trying to help re-establish, before I read all of the NFCU reviews. I only had one account pre-bankruptcy that ever reported last due (joint account with someone else) which I paid off as soon as I found out it was past due. It was a car loan and reported 60 days twice; it had a 2k balance when I paid it off. I haven't had any late pays since. He has some late pays 6+ years old that weren't too bad. A couple of 30 days and one late mortgage payment when the closing was pushed back. We are currently renting because we've had a couple interstate moves (not military) and we want to wait until we can get a decent APR to buy. I also have 18 inquiries on my TU from opening new accounts and requesting credit line increases- six of which are in August. He has 3 on TU and only one in the last year. My TU Fico after these last 2 accounts opened is 648 and last I checked for Eq is 627 exp 625. I haven't looked at eq and exp since my last 2 accounts opened. His TU fico is 653.

I'm afraid of apping and getting a lower limit than what I want. I thought about going to joint route, but he is self-employed and has been for less than a year so no tax returns. We do keep a log of everything, but he gets a lot of cash and I don't always deposit it-- sometimes I just go grocery shopping with it and gas, etc. I don't know if they will accept this or want to verify it. On 9/5 I will be transferring 5k over to them, but IDK if that bears any weight on the credit limit. I also just went from 2k Care Credit to 9k and got a 2k Barclays and 1k DiscoverIT. The 9k is not reporting. I have 2 Capone cards and am authorized on hubby's 2 cards. We each have a BestBuy MasterCard and I have Target, Justice, Victoria's secret, Wal-Mart, and Sam's. I may be forgetting one or two. Overall, utilization is 23%.

App or wait until transfer is completed and inquiries are a little older? Will they accept his income without tax returns?

Thanks a bunch!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: New to NFCU Credit Card Advice

Well since we are talking less than 2 weeks I would actually wait in this case for you to deposit that money and hopefully by then carecredit will update also.

I would each apply for your own card not joint.

possibilty that his app gets held up for income depending if his company is listed as (employment on his credit report) first app with navy seems to make it past some of the checks right away.

if you have individual checking accounts with navy I would go ahead and apply for his credit card now and then yours when you put the cash in... otherwise I would not worry about the things you listed and apply for both! I don't think navy takes into account cash in accounts usually because many of us open our first credit card with $5.00 in our accounts!

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I decided to go ahead and app for the hubby... I was modest on the income and put 40k since I can't prove most of it. Got the 3-5 day message, but when I go into "Account Services" to check status it doesn't show an app for him. Maybe it takes a few days... So we shall see what happens.

Message 3 of 11
MrCredit
Established Contributor

Treat them good and they will treat you well in return!!

I cannot think of in my entire life a better credit union/banking experience. They are generous and realistic with issuing credit. Good luck.

Message 4 of 11
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

I can't wait for my membership to be approve. I think I am going to app for the navy check and cash rewards. I know my utilization is high and therefore my score is not as high as it was a couple months ago. I just can't pass it up due to all the good success stories!

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, guys! I don't have much patience, but I'm trying so hard. Still no word on the app status. I will update when it comes back.

Message 6 of 11
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@MrCredit wrote:

Treat them good and they will treat you well in return!!

I cannot think of in my entire life a better credit union/banking experience. They are generous and realistic with issuing credit. Good luck.

If you ever live or work in WA.... Look up BECU.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I finally sent a SM to see if I needed to send additional information for my credit card request... I received a message back saying that I was approved for both apps-- 2500 and 6000. I only app'd for one so that was a pleasant surprise, I think?? I was also approved for NavChek today for 5k which is all I requested. I didn't rock the boat on the hubby and will just be patient for his.

Message 8 of 11
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

Congrats OP! I was also approve for cash rewards and navycheck today! Did you only app for hubby?

Message 9 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

That was a waste with with navcheck... Once it shows up send secure message to increase it to 15k!! They always counter!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.