cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to NFCU; having a hard time deciding which card to obtain.

tag
vercetti

New to NFCU; having a hard time deciding which card to obtain.

Hey everybody, after perusing through the forums and reading about many people having great experiences with Navy, i decided to join.

My current credit score is 750 and I have 2 credit cards; Chase Freedom Unlimited and Ducks Unlimited. I use Chase for everything else except Gas, which I use Ducks Unlimited (just solely for gas). 

I joined with hopes of asking for my first personal loan for a business venture (between 5k-10k) and figured Id go with a credit union like NFCU.

To start establishing a relationship I want to get a card but Im having a hard time deciding if to get the More Rewards cars to replace my Ducks Unlimited card or just bite the bullet and pull the trigger on a Flagship. I dont mind replacing my ducks unlimited card for a NFCU card, even my chase one if things are better with NFCU but I want some advice on what to do. 

Thanks. 

Also if this thread is better somewhere else please tell me.

11 REPLIES 11
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Re: New to NFCU; having a hard time deciding which card to obtain.

Anything but the Flagship.  It's a little harder to get than the rest of their cards and they prefer some history with NFCU before opening up to that one.   

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 2 of 12
vercetti

based on my situation...looks like the more rewards card isnbetter for me? i heard the cash back card now offers 1.75 back instead of 1.50 backbut im not sure how much of a difference it makes 

Message 3 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@vercetti wrote:

based on my situation...looks like the more rewards card isnbetter for me? i heard the cash back card now offers 1.75 back instead of 1.50 backbut im not sure how much of a difference it makes 

Just make sure you have direct deposit with NFCU to earn the 1.75 CB on the cashRewards. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 12
rostrow416
Established Contributor

More Rewards is a great card for most purchases - 3% back on gas, restaurants, transit (like tolls and parking), and groceries, and 1% on everything else 

The cashRewards upped it's earnings to 1.75% only if you send a direct deposit to your Navy account every month, otherwise it's 1.5%.  Not a huge difference, but if you use the More Rewards for your everyday spend, it's likely you'll rack up a good deal more cash back.

Once you have some history with NFCU, it should be easy to get the Flagship, which matches very nicely with the More Rewards card.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 5 of 12
vercetti

thanks for helping me. im gonna apply for the more rewards card. have a blessed day. 

Message 6 of 12
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@vercetti wrote:

thanks for helping me. im gonna apply for the more rewards card. have a blessed day. 

After a year look into opening or pc'ing that card into a Flagship.  It's 2% on everything and 3% on travel, plus GE/Precheck credit and some travel protections.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 7 of 12
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@rostrow416 wrote:

Once you have some history with NFCU, it should be easy to get the Flagship, which matches very nicely with the More Rewards card.

Yes, it's a nice pair. People occasionally talk about a NFCU trifecta, but it's really a bifecta: The More Rewards and Flagship complement each other very well, and make the other NFCU rewards cards redundant.

Message 8 of 12
vercetti

well, it seems like I was approved for the more rewards card, even though the numbers they gave arent so great;

"You're approved for a Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card with a credit limit of $4,600.00 and an APR of 16.99%."

I gotta start somewhere. And yeah from what I see its more of a Bifecta than a Trifecta...the flagship pretty much outshines the go rewards card with the 2 points back on everything....unless in missing something else from the go rewards?

My current set up with my Chase Freedom Unlimited  makes it to where its easier to search for airplane tickets on their app...i think thats the only thing that I would miss over the flagship card, which im aiming for soon, but im probably overthinking it since again...the x2 points > 1.5% so I would be getting more money back...and i dont even travel like that haha.

Message 9 of 12
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Congratulations 🎊🎈🎉 on your approval. Your card will grow.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.