Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to credit

Hey everyone, I recently applied for two credit cards (Cap one and BOA) and got approved for the student card versions for college, since I'm only 18 and going to start my freshman year this August.

I just need some good advice from you guys. I'm wondering how should I pay my statements every month for example, my BOA due date is Sep. 2nd how should I pay that 5 days before the due date or 10 days? From what I heard from everyone is to pay it 10 days before the due date, is that true?

Everyone also is saying I should keep my utilization below 30% and I've been doing that lately, or should I keep it lower?

Is it better to keep a balance or pay it full every month?

if you guys have more advice to give me, express yourself Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New to credit

Welcome! Heart New to credit myself and would like to see a few answers from the more experienced members. Congrats on your cards!

Message 2 of 13
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone, I recently applied for two credit cards (Cap one and BOA) and got approved for the student card versions for college, since I'm only 18 and going to start my freshman year this August.

I just need some good advice from you guys. I'm wondering how should I pay my statements every month for example, my BOA due date is Sep. 2nd how should I pay that 5 days before the due date or 10 days? From what I heard from everyone is to pay it 10 days before the due date, is that true?

Everyone also is saying I should keep my utilization below 30% and I've been doing that lately, or should I keep it lower?

Here's what I suggest:

1. Try to keep utilization as low as possible. Lower the better. 
2. Never exceed your credit limit. 
3. You can pay full in month (statement balance). 
4. Never be late in payment of anything (that includes rent, cable bill, etc.)
5. Don't apply too many cards in short span. 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 3 of 13
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

typically I pay through The Credit cards website be it Citi, Amex, Discover or Chase.  Payments usually post onto my account the next day as long as you do it before 5PM eastern at least.    Amex Does it 8PM but at some other time zone that i forgot. Citi and Discover will do it same day if you do it before 5PM and Chase will do it before 8PM

Personally Just make sure it is mostly ( or All) depending on which you want to post a balance) paid off before the 2nd for your BoA card.   You want one card to post a balance between 1 and 9%. 

Unless your looking to apply for another Credit card, or a Loan like for a car or a mortgage keeping it under 30% is fine. You want to keep it below 10% optimally but under 30% is fine.  Unless you have 0% APR intro promos I would just PIF. Even with a 0% APR I would still make sure it is below 30% util% because I had my Discover post a Maxed out card which i was planning to pay off over 50% but I did the purchase to close to my statement cut and it posted and shot down my Credit Score by a good 50   

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 4 of 13
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

To me, it doesn't really matter when you pay or how you pay. As long as you pay by the due date and pay in full or 4x the minimum, you'll be fine.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 5 of 13
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy I always pay mine about 5 days before the due date. Try to keep you bal under 9 % util. Also to avoid insterest  always PIF after the statement cuts. Since you only have 2 cards let 1 carry a small bal this month and the other next month.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice guys, I heard its better paying in full than carrying a balance though? My total credit limit is $1000 (cap one $300 and BOA $700) so 30% on both so  $90 on cap one which I'm doing atm and I'm at $45 bucks so far I feel like I'm not making a good start  for cap one lol. BOA is $210 it's at 15 bucks atm also because of groceries I hope I maintain a good credit start.

Message 7 of 13
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice guys, I heard its better paying in full than carrying a balance though? My total credit limit is $1000 (cap one $300 and BOA $700) so 30% on both so  $90 on cap one which I'm doing atm and I'm at $45 bucks so far I feel like I'm not making a good start  for cap one lol. BOA is $210 it's at 15 bucks atm also because of groceries I hope I maintain a good credit start.

For the best score it's always better to carry a 1% bal on 1 card. Then after the statement cuts PIF. It does not hurt to make more than 1 payment a month

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 8 of 13
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Carrying A blance means little ... Just make sure you pay more then Min and it doesn't make the Card maxed out and below 30% util 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have another question for the people who have applied for cap one, it is possible to get approved for two cards? Like for example my journey card would it be smart to app for the quicksilver card? Or to garden my cards I have atm?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.