cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie. Blew the roof off app spree.... :(

tag
julietweedy

Newbie. Blew the roof off app spree.... :(

Hi!  I just discovered this forum and am learning so much.  I was irresponsible when I was younger and it took me years to get any credit approvals!  A couple years ago, I was able to open an Amazon store card, Capital One, Best Buy Reward, and First Premiere.  Amazon closed my acount after two of my payments were returned (they took over TWO weeks to process payment! And I IMMEDIATELY handled situation both times..ugh).  About 6 months ago I opened Discover (1000) JCrew and Banana.  Jcrew started me at 700 and within a couple months raised it to 1100.  Banana went from 400 to 700 to 1300.  I didn't request CLI on either!

Anyway.  I leased a new car a couple weeks ago and was curious to see if I could get any new cards.  I was approved for Care Credit (which I got for vet bills 3000), VS (500), Capital One Venture (500), Meijer (300), WalMart (400), Khols (300), Target (200) and Paypal Mastercard (1000).  Of course I was dumb and didn't stop there.  I got a Credit One card approved yesterday for 300.  I also applied for TJMax (which didn't give immediate response) and was denied another Discover card.

I know, I know.  I probably set some sort of terrible record.  I was just SO excited that I FINALLY was approved for credit again!  I'm not worried about overspending or anything- but I am worried that I've drastically affected my score.  And I'm afraid to (and unsure of how or when) to check on it.  Also, I realize the Credit One card is terrible.  I plan on calling them tomorrow and telling them I don't want the card.  Their site says if you don't activate it in 14 days they'll cancel it.  I hope they do it right when I call.  

Now I search for an iPad app to manage 234233 credit card acccounts.  Oh, what have I done?  

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
julietweedy

Re: Newbie. Blew the roof off app spree.... :(

OMG I applied for Chase Freedom, too.  

Message 2 of 41
myjourney
Super Contributor

@julietweedy wrote:

Hi!  I just discovered this forum and am learning so much.  I was irresponsible when I was younger and it took me years to get any credit approvals!  A couple years ago, I was able to open an Amazon store card, Capital One, Best Buy Reward, and First Premiere.  Amazon closed my acount after two of my payments were returned (they took over TWO weeks to process payment! And I IMMEDIATELY handled situation both times..ugh).  About 6 months ago I opened Discover (1000) JCrew and Banana.  Jcrew started me at 700 and within a couple months raised it to 1100.  Banana went from 400 to 700 to 1300.  I didn't request CLI on either!

Anyway.  I leased a new car a couple weeks ago and was curious to see if I could get any new cards.  I was approved for Care Credit (which I got for vet bills 3000), VS (500), Capital One Venture (500), Meijer (300), WalMart (400), Khols (300), Target (200) and Paypal Mastercard (1000).  Of course I was dumb and didn't stop there.  I got a Credit One card approved yesterday for 300.  I also applied for TJMax (which didn't give immediate response) and was denied another Discover card.

I know, I know.  I probably set some sort of terrible record.  I was just SO excited that I FINALLY was approved for credit again!  I'm not worried about overspending or anything- but I am worried that I've drastically affected my score.  And I'm afraid to (and unsure of how or when) to check on it.  Also, I realize the Credit One card is terrible.  I plan on calling them tomorrow and telling them I don't want the card.  Their site says if you don't activate it in 14 days they'll cancel it.  I hope they do it right when I call.  

Now I search for an iPad app to manage 234233 credit card acccounts.  Oh, what have I done?  

Welcome to the forum

Congrats now its time to hit the garden with all those new TL's

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 41
dodfire
Valued Contributor

First, Welcome to the forums...

Second, HOLY COW.....well what exactly are you trying to do??? 

*8/10/13
Message 4 of 41
CS800
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forums.

Great spree. You might want to hit the garden now and let these tradelines age Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 41
beb86
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@julietweedy wrote:

Welcome to the forum

Congrats now its time to hit the garden with all those new TL's

+1 I would make sure you are being extra diligent with these accounts

Message 6 of 41
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@dodfire wrote:

First, Welcome to the forums...

Second, HOLY COW.....well what exactly are you trying to do??? 

+1

Ouch... No kidding... Getting excited is one thing, but I'm afraid that in the eyes of initial "credit overextension" the damage is done and you have tanked your score.  You can only learn from this and grow what you have so that in time it will eventually improve.

Message 7 of 41
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Wow. Please stop and hit the garden.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 8 of 41
Stralem
Established Contributor

A Capital One Venture with a $500 CL?

What the...? Smiley Frustrated

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 9 of 41
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Stralem wrote:

A Capital One Venture with a $500 CL?

What the...? Smiley Frustrated

I doubt it's the Venture, let alone the VentureOne version.  Both Venture pre-requisites are usually reserved for excellent credit.

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.