Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Newbie needs help] When to apply for more credit cards

tag
DanielQin

[Newbie needs help] When to apply for more credit cards

Hello everyone,

I am still a student in school, but I will be start working mid-next-year.

Currently I have one Discover IT with CL 1600 since Feb 2012 and FICO 725

I had like 10 HPs because of my car loan(darn it), I just managed to paid it off this month.

I have tried to use my CC better and my Credit Utilization is around 10%`15% average.

Discover just gave me really hard time to increase my CL....

And it is not the best card I want to have...

I want three cards the most,  

1.Amex Blue Cash Preferred.

2.Chase Sapphire Preferred

3. Chase Marriot 

or maybe Barclay reward master card 

That fico score is before I got my loan paid off so it is not up-to-date.

When do you guys think I should apply for more card?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: [Newbie needs help] When to apply for more credit cards

IMHO It would be best to wait till you have a steady work based income prior to apping for more cards, with just student income it will be hard to obtain the cards that you seek.

Message 2 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@gdale6 wrote:

IMHO It would be best to wait till you have a steady work based income prior to apping for more cards, with just student income it will be hard to obtain the cards that you seek.

+1

Message 3 of 11
DanielQin

Thanks...

But with that being said, some of my friends(maybe just lucky...) got more than what listed on there...

And I mean I have 100% tuition grant plus living fee so that is like more than 65k per year of income...

..What do you think ?

Message 4 of 11
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

I am a grad student as well, and will graduate May 2014. I just applied and got approved for both AMEX GREEN and BCP, with just less than 1 month credit history. Maybe you should try AMEX to lock the 2013. Anyway, it is your decision.

Message 5 of 11
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

I assume you are a international PHD student based on your info, I think it is quite legitimate to apply for more credit as long as you intend to use them responsibly, many of my friends(current PHD students) have a bunch of credit cards, with single card 10K+ credit. If you like you can read more info on this forum about each card you would like to get.

Message 6 of 11
DanielQin

You are so lucky.

Merry Christmas man

Message 7 of 11
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

I would recommend CapOne student card and Chase student card. Student have lower credit requirement. Most likely your car inquiries are treated as single inquiries.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 8 of 11
DavidZeng
Regular Contributor

I don't really think Cap student is a good idea, it grows slow and not quite friendly towards students,  when I app for Chase, Discover and Cap, I got instant approved for the first two, but was asked to mail or fax them many papers even tax return! Could you please provide more info about Chase student card? I can not find any info about it in my local branch or on their website.

Message 9 of 11
w003ptr
Contributor

You guys are spending an awful lot of money as students to justify the AF on these cards.

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.