cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newest cards gives the highest limits, what about old card limits?

tag
davidsawsparks
Contributor

Newest cards gives the highest limits, what about old card limits?

I remember having to basically beg for a lender to give me a chance when I started my credit rebuilding journey. Citi was the first one to take a risk on me and gave me a 1k credit limit. 7 years later I don't have any problems getting approved. Each card I'm approved for gives me a higher credit limit than the previous.  My CL on most of my cards were around 3-5k until a year ago, when PNC approved me for 10k. Then Chase gave me an 11k Sapphire, then Citi gave me a 15.5k prestige... then today Chase gave me a 27k Ritz. So my question is this... all those cards I've had that were 3 - 5k, that have auto increased throughout the years to 5 - 7k... will they ever auto match my highest CL or at least come close to it? I've put them away for now because I like having the larger limit + rewards in my wallet. What are your experiences with your older cards once you get higher limit ones. Do they ever get resurrected or do they remain in the sock drawer for eternity?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newest cards gives the highest limits, what about old card limits?

Like many on this board, my CLs have increased substantially over time, and I've been able to request increases on my older cards to keep up. I've gotten (usually at my request) an increase at some point on almost every card in my signature. My BofA card is my first trade line and it's at 24x its original limit of $500. With that said, I've had actually very few auto increases over the years, and the ones I have had were small. It's common to get huge jumps in CL by requesting, but from my experience and reading others posts on this forum, auto CLI tend to be in the three or low four figures. so my bottom line is that it's very possible but you'll have to ask (nicely).

If you're okay with some hard pulls, go request some increases on your other, older cards. I might start with looking at which banks don't already have a lot of exposure to you. So, Chase might not be the best candidate since you have nearly $40,000 across two cards with them, but another provider might. Best of luck to you!
Message 2 of 3
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Newest cards gives the highest limits, what about old card limits?

What is the goal?   Some people don't like having cards with small limits along side their new big CL cards, but unless the small CLs are on cards you actively use, and the small CL is a nusiance (preventing you buying what you need or requiring multiple payments per cycle), I would forget about it, and save HPs for new cards which a) will probably have high limits, and b) may have bonuses.

Using a HP to go from say $5K to $10K when you have a $25K+ card just doesn't seem a good use of an HP to me.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.