Did you mean: 

Next AMEX Card

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Next AMEX Card

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Once your SkyMiles Gold AF hits again, I'd consider either downgrading it to SkyMiles Blue if you want to keep the account open or just closing it (and you can move most of that credit line to one of your other cards; you can even do that now if you want while it's still open).  Going for the new app over the upgrade was definitely the right choice, but now the Gold really isn't worth the AF since the Platinum gives you everything it has and more.

OP can downgrade to Blue now and get a prorated AF or retention offer, no? Or transfer CL to the Platinum card and close and get a prorated AF?

(Getting the new card and SUB is a good idea for sure though.)

I agree that the Chase/Sync cards are useful for Prime customers (I carry the Sync card because I'm LOL/24, and even without the Whole Foods 5% off cut it works out net positive for me including Prime, if you figure the card as having a $120 annual fee).

For closing cards, Amex changed their policy a while back and state that they will only refund the annual fee within 30 days of the fee being charged.  I don't believe they offer prorated AF refunds for downgrades, although I am not positive on that.  For upgrades, they do a prorated refund (if applicable) and charge a prorated annual fee for the higher tier card while maintaining the anniversary date.  While we don't have that much insight into what triggers the infamous "you are not eligible for a Welcome Offer on this card" popup and it doesn't happen to everyone, as OP is eyeing future Amex apps that could be quite lucrative it's likely a safer bet to wait until at least the 2nd renewal AF has hit the statement prior to closing or downgrading an Amex card.  Plus, OP could be offered a retention offer that may far outweigh the AF if he wants to keep it another year, and retention offers are far more common once the AF has been charged.

Message 11 of 18
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@jcooks wrote:

MR points can be transferred to partner hotels/airlines and can be redeemed for gift cards etc.  For the most part, airline/hotel cards earn those specific points and would generally have to be used towards that brand.  Airline cards may have a bit more flexibility in terms of transferring to partners, but no where near as much as MR points.  I am not sure if having a mix of MR points and hotel/airline sepcific points are of much value as just concentrating on strictly MR points.  They say best value you can get with MR points is if you transfer to airline partners are redeem for first/business class.  But even then, someone would value 5 or 6 economy rount trip flights much more valuable than 1 business or first class round trip to Asia.  It really depends on what you want to do.

Airline/hotel cards also have benefits for using the airline/hotel like free baggage, lounge access, increased earning in the hotel or airline loyalty program, free nights or free companion certificates that AMEX does not always offer. It also depends on the card- some programs/cards or more generous for their cards than others (IMO Hilton AMEX cards are more generous in Hilton earning compared to AMEX MR, than Delta AMEX cards compared to AMEX MR).

I'm also not sure that MR->gift card is the best way to go, frankly, though comparatively it's better than MR->statement credit since you can find gift cards that are a penny a point instead of .6 as statement credit. Gift cards mean you pass up any earning on spend. (Also, not all AMEX GC options are a penny a point. But maybe you like Olive Garden.)

My feeling is that if you're really really really shooting for cashback, MR isn't your system compared to Chase UR/Citi TY/US Bank/Wells Fargo/etc. unless the Schwab/Morgan Stanley Platinum cards are part of your system (and those have a $550 annual fee deadweight cost, though you might find the value they offer for perks and monthly rebates worth the $550). And I say that as someone who's probably 2/3rds Team AMEX MR + miles and points, 1/3rd Team Cashback.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 12 of 18
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Plus, OP could be offered a retention offer that may far outweigh the AF if he wants to keep it another year

That would be what I would shoot for (though I think you need at least 12 months after for the retention offer before you downgrade, right?)... something like "well, if I have to keep this completely duplicative card open for 12 months, I might as well get something for the AF instead of stuff that's 100% covered by my Platinum".

I also have to think AMEX and Delta likes someone who is upping their AF from $99 to $250, even if they downgrade the $99 card to a no-AF one. They're reeling you in as a long term customer. Smiley Wink

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 13 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Correct, all of the retention offers now have wording about it being clawed back (or being charged for the value) if you close or downgrade a card in the next 12 months.

Message 14 of 18
janderson126
Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Once your SkyMiles Gold AF hits again, I'd consider either downgrading it to SkyMiles Blue if you want to keep the account open or just closing it (and you can move most of that credit line to one of your other cards; you can even do that now if you want while it's still open).  Going for the new app over the upgrade was definitely the right choice, but now the Gold really isn't worth the AF since the Platinum gives you everything it has and more

@K-in-Boston always love your advice and enjoy when you stop by so thank you for that. 

I am more than likley going to just downgrade to blue or move the limit still thinking on that move. 

I agree I am glad that I got the new app instead over the upgrade it will be good for long term plan. 

Still working on my short plan since I have landed DL Plat now. 

If it's miles you're after, I think the Gold charge card would probably be an excellent earner for you.   Upgrade offers pop up from BCE to BCP fairly often and can have upgrade offers not too far off from the new account offers, if you're interested in 6% back instead of 4x MRs on grocery and if your streaming spend overcomes the AF and rewards you would earn elsewhere.

@K-in-Boston So you are suggesting this long term plan below?  

1. Keep DL Plat Miles 
  2. Downgrade the DL Miles Gold to Blue/ move the limit to ( 1 ) 
  3. adding The Gold Charge card around 2022 

As of now I am thinking that miles is what I am after will it be long term more than likley due to I will always travel as I am able too. The reason I was looking at the rose gold card is that the MR and miles would be nice to mix however I do recall one member above said that its hard to keep track of both miles and MR points as far as spend goes, I do like the idea of having MR than switching them to miles. 

I will have to add up my total streaming spend that is a good call out as far as the AF goes Smiley Happy I did not think of it that way. 

The Amazon offer is fairly limited.  If you are doing a lot of Amazon shopping, you might consider an Amazon card from Chase or Synchrony instead for 5% all the time rather than the introductory offer that is only for a limited time, has a cap that many of us that shop Amazon frequently would hit quickly, and also requires a new app.

I do a fair amount of amazon shopping usally a few purchases or more a week depending on what my needs are. Ture on the new app that is why Iam trying to keep in the AMEX family due to the lucky SP with a new card app thing. 

I hope this helps, as always I am happy to answer any more questions as needed. This all has been very helpful Smiley Happy 

AMEX Delta Gold | Travel | 5k | 12/19
AMEX Delta Plat | 7k | 4/21
Navy Rewards | Gas | 18k | 06/20
Capone Savor | Entertainment | 3.5k | 1/20
Cap one | 6.5k | 1/10
Cap one Walmart | 2k| 10/17
PayPal Master Card | 2% Everyday Spend | 15k | 6/20
Venmo | 12K | 01/2024

Message 15 of 18
janderson126
Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Plus, OP could be offered a retention offer that may far outweigh the AF if he wants to keep it another year

That would be what I would shoot for (though I think you need at least 12 months after for the retention offer before you downgrade, right?)... something like "well, if I have to keep this completely duplicative card open for 12 months, I might as well get something for the AF instead of stuff that's 100% covered by my Platinum".

I also have to think AMEX and Delta likes someone who is upping their AF from $99 to $250, even if they downgrade the $99 card to a no-AF one. They're reeling you in as a long term customer. Smiley Wink

I can see that as well. Smiley Happy 

Do you mean going from

• DL Gold Miles to DL Blue Miles 
  • Add adding Gold Charge ( 250 AF) 

Cap one | 6.5k | 1/10
Venmo | 12K | 01/2024

Message 16 of 18
janderson126
Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Going to echo the sentiments the other three have pointed out already. Think the main question you need to ask yourself, @janderson126, is what are you looking for rewards wise for your spend both in the short and long term. That answer will help shape your portfolio whether you're looking for short term rewards in the form of signup bonus chasing or long term investments where you don't see yourself cancelling or product changing the card to something else

I do agree with you on that its hard to have both Miles/ multiple reward methods. I have seen before that some people like the idea of that so they could have a varity of ways of claiming there rewards wither its hotels, points, or miles. That is how I got down this rabbit hole Smiley Happy 

@simplynoir I would say that I m looking for both 

Short term now - Getting the profile mix together how I want/ need. 

Longer term - Letting the cards work for me over time and have them build wither that is more CL or futher rewards. 

I also wanted to add that both of the above ST and LT goals are important to me.   

Also what you're looking for in terms of either miles, cashback or rewards points needs to be answered, too. Most people don't have the spend to support multiple rewards programs and dilute their earning potential in doing so when you take signup bonuses out of the equation. If you do have the spend then great but if not then you need to concentrate on a few especially with rewards programs like Delta and AMEX MR that don't really have good cash equivalencies to work with if you change your mind later

I would say that miles for sure as well a mix of reward points however not for certain that is why I put the question out there to see what other MY FICO users are doing or If they have any tips or suggestions 

Which so far there has been many great suggestions. 

I know one thing for sure I will always be traveling as much as I can that is a longer term thing Smiley Happy 

I hope that this answered some of your questions at hand, happy to proivde more details If needed please let me know. 

Thank you for stopping by. 

Cap one | 6.5k | 1/10
Venmo | 12K | 01/2024

Message 17 of 18
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@janderson126 wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I can see that as well. Smiley Happy 

Do you mean going from

• DL Gold Miles to DL Blue Miles 
  • Add adding Gold Charge ( 250 AF) 

No. I actually mean calling retention now, say "I'm considering cancelling the DL Gold card or downgrading, you got anything for me? It's largely duplicated by my DL Platinum."

Might want to time that for after your SUB is fulfilled though, and if you accept the offer you need to keep the card for 12 months.

The AMEX Gold can be done independently of that.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.