Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Card: Chase Freedom Unlimited or Chase Marriott Boundless

tag
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Next Card: Chase Freedom Unlimited or Chase Marriott Boundless

I'm a few months away from applying for a new card, however the next two cards on my radar are the Chase Freedom Unlimited and Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless. I'll likely apply for one of them around November/December. December will be 6 months from opening my last three cards, including my CSP.

I stay at Mariott exclusively unless they don't have a hotel in the area i'm at. So i will use the anniversary free night every year, and it'll help me acrue points at Marriott faster, as i'll use the card exclusively for Marriott hotel charges (after the SUB, of course).

I'm looking at the Freedom Unlimited as well, to compliment my CSP. I won't have a problem hitting $20k spend in the first year, for the 3% SUB as i'll shelf my CSP and use the CFU as my daily until i hit $20k, then switch back to CSP for travel/dining and CFU for anything and everything else.

Originally i was going to apply for the CFU first, but i'm rethinking that applying for the Boundless first and using it as my daily to hit SUB makes more sense. Then once i've hit the $3k minimum spend for the SUB, i can apply for the CFU and then switch to using it as my daily until the $20k minimum spend for 3% return.

Also, i'll likely hit $3k minimum spend on the Boundless before the required 3 months. So, would it be wise to still wait 3 months to apply for the CFU after the Boundless? Or, could i apply earlier than that?

|  
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Next Card: Chase Freedom Unlimited or Chase Marriott Boundless

Depends on which one holds more value in the immediate future.

Also, 5/24 numbers matter since you added 3 cards already in the last 6 months as all Chase cards are restricted by 5/24 these days.  Definitely a YMMV though when bypassing the restriction.  Getting a pre-approval in branch though seems to work well if you're not being too aggressive with new cards.

Message 2 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The Brilliant from Amex has a better renewal night (50k vs. 35k). And it sounds like you'd have no difficulty using the $300 credit.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 10
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends on which one holds more value in the immediate future.

Also, 5/24 numbers matter since you added 3 cards already in the last 6 months as all Chase cards are restricted by 5/24 these days.  Definitely a YMMV though when bypassing the restriction.  Getting a pre-approval in branch though seems to work well if you're not being too aggressive with new cards.

Right, I meant to mention that i'm currently at 3/24 so that's why i'll be going for the Marriott boundless and CFU before any additional cards in my "future list". 

Both cards hold value, especially since 2020 is when i'll get the most use of both cards and i'll be getting married next year(date not yet set). So, i may be able to use the marriott points on our honeymoon, as well as the UR points from the CFU added to my CSP points for honeymoon travels as well.

I just was thinking logically about using the Boundless card first to hit $3k spend, then CFU for $20k spend at 3% after. After thinking about it, it doesn't really make sense to get the CFU, use it a few months, then apply for Boundless and have to switch to it as my daily for $3k spend, then back to CFU as my daily. In the end it doesn't matter, i guess, as long as both minimum spends are hit before their required timeframes expire...

|  
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Brilliant from Amex has a better renewal night (50k vs. 35k). And it sounds like you'd have no difficulty using the $300 credit.

Well, if you're at 3/24 you're good to go.  As WasCB pointed out here though it might be a good idea to look at Amex and Chase and comapre the options.... 15K more renewal points sounds hefty when looking at booking category values.

Message 5 of 10
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I looked at that card as well. But if i don't travel one year then i lose the $300 credit, and am stuck with $450 annual fee. Whereas with the Boundless $95 fee, i can easily use the free night to cover the fee. We travel at minimum twice yearly, however sometimes we will travel where there is no Marriott so i won't be able to offset the AF.

I live in Houston, and worst case scenario we can use it to stay one night downtown at the Marriott Marquis with the Texas shaped lazy river just for a one night local get away.  Or, take a short weekend trip to San Antonio to stay at the riverwalk and use that trip to cover the AF.

|  
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Austin would be more appealing than SA.  Venture down to the Barton Springs or wander around the lake on the path.

Message 7 of 10
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Austin would be more appealing than SA.  Venture down to the Barton Springs or wander around the lake on the path.

Been to the riverwalk a bunch. My Fiancé loves Austin since she went to Texas State and partied there a lot in college, so i may have to take your advice and hit up that area for our next weekend trip.

We just went to Fredericksburg a few weekends ago, for the first time. Didn't stay at Marriott, however we loved that area. And the wine.

|  
Message 8 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

The CFU bonus structure may stay how it is, or revert to a traditional SUB. 

Your app horizon is a ways out there. You can do a general plan, but the CC market and offers can change. 

The advantage with the AMEX is that adds Priority Pass, and a TSA credit if your air travel will expand. 

What is that US Bank Corp travel card? Do you travel for work?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 10
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

The CFU bonus structure may stay how it is, or revert to a traditional SUB. 

Your app horizon is a ways out there. You can do a general plan, but the CC market and offers can change. 

The advantage with the AMEX is that adds Priority Pass, and a TSA credit if your air travel will expand. 

What is that US Bank Corp travel card? Do you travel for work?

I would actually prefer a traditional SUB on the CFU, so if that changes then i'd be fine with that. I also hope that the Marriott card brings back the 100k SUB.

Amex platinum is on the horizon, however i plan to delay applying for it since our Q1 ski trip has been axed until 2021.

The US Bank card is my company CC. I do travel for work, however everything is booked via my corporate and is thrown on that card so unfortunately there is no way for me to accrue points. I wish.

|  
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.