Next Card suggestions? App itch...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next Card suggestions? App itch...

Current cards:
CSP 8k (feb 2015)
Freedom 4.7k (sept 2014)
WF secured .. first card $500 (April 2014)

Car loan - VW credit, April 2016
Income $85K

No baddies, credit score approx 765 on all three. Have 3-4 inquiries (2 new from new apartment and utilities on EQ from a few months ago..)

Getting the itch of another card to add to the mix
Considering united mileage explorer (tend to travel on united a few times per year), discover it and AMEX BCE.

Questions...
Garden longer? Consider better cards?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Next Card suggestions? App itch...

I like the double cash. Could get a chase freedom unlimited and build those points and transfer to partners with the CSP. Out of the 3 you mentioned I'd go with the BCE.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Current cards:
CSP 8k (feb 2015)
Freedom 4.7k (sept 2014)

Income $85K

No baddies, credit score approx 765 on all three. Have 3-4 inquiries (2 new from new apartment and utilities on EQ from a few months ago..)

Considering united mileage explorer (tend to travel on united a few times per year), discover it and AMEX BCE.

Questions...

I would deffinetly get am Amex in your mix! Thats the next best thing! But I would also work on getting that WF Secured card graduated to an Unsecure!

Message 3 of 13
defenses
Established Member

Since United is a travel partner with CSP, I would get a Freedom Unlimted as a daily card to boost your UR points and transfer those over to United instead of getting their airline card. I like my Discover. Since they double your cash back at the end of the year, that's another good option for a daily card. Some of the categories overlap with the Freedom, though, so that might be a drawback for you. I don't have a BCE but if you spend a lot on groceries and gas stations, that or the BCP should be good for you.

Message 4 of 13
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Since you mentioned your FICO Scores as being in the upper-700's, you might want to consider the card in the link below (min. EX FICO 8 score of 730 or higher needed to qualify for the best rates).  Features:  go-to APR as low as 7.5% F; rewards program of 1.5x points per dollar spent, no AF, no BT fee, no FTF, 10,000 intro points promo.  Also some nice benefits that can be hard to find all on one card, like trip cancellation/interruption insurance, lost/delayed/damaged luggage insurance, and more.

https://www.premieramerica.com/loans/credit-cards

ETA:  just as a quick disclaimer, this CU can give potentially rather conservative SLs, so if you're looking for a high CL to start out with, this card might not be exactly the right match.

Message 5 of 13
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Current cards:
CSP 8k (feb 2015)
Freedom 4.7k (sept 2014)

Income $85K

Questions...

Discover IT, they will match the cashback from the first year. So it is a 10% categories, 2% card and extra by buying from the discover deals page. Grow with SP CLIs.

Amex BCE, good card for groceries and there are some nice extra deals online. Grow with SP CLIs.

Chase Freedom Unlimited, 1.5% back in UR points that you can use with CSP. $150 welcome bonus online and sometimes $300 in branch.

My recommendation:

If you only want 1, get Discover IT (use it for categories, general purchases and discover deals), this will be at least a 2% card for 1 year.

If you can handle 2, go with Discover and Amex. I love both. I'm helping a friend building credit and he got both cards.

For the future: keep an eye on Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Freedom Unlimited. You may apply to CSR and PC your CSP to FU.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. I already have the CSP at $8k and the Freedom. I actually did try FU for a little while before PCing back to Freedom. Turns out most of my expenses were 2x categories on CSP and the FU got under utilized.. CSR looks great but the AF looks terrible!
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would go with the Discover card. It is one of my daily drivers and I get about $50 rewards monthly on it to add to my savings account. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Message 8 of 13
wmweeza
Established Contributor

I'd go for the AMEX BCE. Yes, I have that card so maybe I'm biased but so far it's been a great card. I too hate annual fees so none of my cards have them, and the BCE savings add up! Thier website has some awesome savibngs ...I once got $20 back when you spend $20! Usually their cash back deals are more modest then that but still great! When my husband retires next month we are switching our grocery spending to that card to get 3% cash back, for us that would be $6 free each week, not a ton, but free money! there are other cards with higher cash back, I think Sallie Mae has 5% back on groceries, but I like using my BCE, it's been a great card for the 2 years I have had it.

Good luck on whatever you choose

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 9 of 13
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I already have the CSP at $8k and the Freedom. I actually did try FU for a little while before PCing back to Freedom. Turns out most of my expenses were 2x categories on CSP and the FU got under utilized.. CSR looks great but the AF looks terrible!

Oh, ok. No unlimited then.

If most of your expenses are 2x categories and you travel a few times every year, then CSR will make sense. Maybe not as next card because I think you should get another lender first, maybe Discover and/or Amex.

$450 is a lot, but you get $300 back for travel (most parking lots, toll roads, airplanes, bus, I think uber also). So basically is a $150 card over a $95 card with 1 extra point for travel/dining, welcome bonus, Global Entry/TSApre, airport lounges and other perks.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.