Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next Card

Hi, I am 18 years old. I've had a USAA Preferred Cash Rewards Visa ($500 limit) for 2 months. It just started showing up on my credit report and my score is officially a 703. I would like a card that earns me travel rewards if at all possible. Probably a Delta Amex but I'm not opposed to others. Which card should I go for next? I don't mind an annual fee because parents said they'd pay it if there was one. Make about $15,000/year (Part time job and student). Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Next Card

You can always try the prequal site on Amex to see if you are prequalified for anything.  If nothing pops up then I would recommend at least waiting until you have 6 months of history to apply for that.  Amex is thin file friendly but only 2 months of history could be a problem.

Message 2 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

As mentioned, wait until your first card is six months old. You have a great first card. You don't want to lower your standards. Smiley Happy

Discover looks to be a great fit when the time comes.

Message 3 of 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

If your parents are gonna pay the AF, go for the Amex Platinum! 😁

Message 4 of 8
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I am 18 years old. I've had a USAA Preferred Cash Rewards Visa ($500 limit) for 2 months. It just started showing up on my credit report and my score is officially a 703. I would like a card that earns me travel rewards if at all possible. Probably a Delta Amex but I'm not opposed to others. Which card should I go for next? I don't mind an annual fee because parents said they'd pay it if there was one. Make about $15,000/year (Part time job and student). Thanks in advance.

IMO if you want a card that has an AF you pay it, not your parents. It's your card and you get the benifits they don't. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 5 of 8
AnimatorProcrastinator
Regular Contributor

IMO if you want a card that has an AF you pay it, not your parents. It's your card and you get the benifits they don't. 

This. Also if you're making $15,000 a year it's pointless to get an AF card that will potentially cost more than you'll earn in cashback/rewards- even if someone else is paying the fee for you. Like others have said, I would wait six months before you get another card. But when the time is right there are tons of great rewards cards with no AF like Citi Double Cash, Disco IT, Amex BCE, or BofA Cash Rewards just to name a few. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

THank you for your replies. The reason my parents will pay the annual fee is because I travel between school and they want me to earn miles on those purhcases and get the perks while traveling. So if i was supporting myself then I would understand but they benefit not having to pay bag fees. I wouldn't get the Amex Platinum probably a Delta card would be the most likely thing. 

Message 7 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What score? Do you have other credit history, perhaps as an AU? I think it takes 6 months of history to get a true FICO.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.