Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next Card?

I started with the Discover it Student card to build my credit. I got the AmEx Gold card about 6 months ago and I am looking to get my next card. I was thinking I should start applying towards Chase because of the 5/24 rule. Any specific card I should choose? I would prefer not to have another card with an annual fee but if it is necessary I am fine with that. 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Next Card?

Couldn't answer that broad question w/o knowing what you currently have and what you spend your money on or your Fico scores.

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I updated my question to give you a little more context. I did not mean to upload it so quickly. 

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Starter Chase Card for 5/24 Rule

Need help deciding what should be my starter chase card for the 5/24 rule. I currently have the Discover it Student card with 6k CL, and then AmEx Gold. 

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need a good base earning card.

freedom unlimited if you eventually wants to get into travel reward.

citi double cash if you think you will do almost no travels.

Message 5 of 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Without more info like your spending habits I think you can't go wrong with Freedom card. Category spending and doesn't conflict with CSP/CSR since you already have a dinning card in the Gold. Can work together with the IT card as you get through school so there's no forced spending persay.

Message 6 of 24
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I started with the Discover it Student card to build my credit. I got the AmEx Gold card about 6 months ago and I am looking to get my next card. I was thinking I should start applying towards Chase because of the 5/24 rule. Any specific card I should choose? I would prefer not to have another card with an annual fee but if it is necessary I am fine with that. 

If you like Chase and travel look at their Sapphire cards.  They both have annual fees, but those can be offset.  

Message 7 of 24
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Who do you bank with? If you are with a CU because you got fee'd for every stupid thing you didn't know it existed from normal big bank then go through your local CU credit card.

Its not going to be a "Reward" fancy card but its going to be 1/3 of APR that you would pay on new reward cards!

Also establishing credit with your local Credit Union would help you down the road getting loans for everything else.

Thats just my thoughts on that and I wish I did that instead of getting every shiny card that came out with close to 30% interest rate 😳

BUT if your looking to brag and look cool front of your friends then go with some metal card or something 😎 Cap1 Venture has/had and Chase got some nice looking ones too!

Message 8 of 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

So, @CYBERSAM, you're attributing your own circumstances to the OP's when it seems that person has a better handle on their finances based on their two cards and good scores. If the poster shows responsible usage then there's no need to lecture someone on how to use credit. The AMEX Gold card, for example, requires PIF assuming they're not using Pay Over Time with no regards to APR so I would like to think they know what they are doing. They are simply asking with Chase's rules regarding applications what is a good starter card for a student so when they graduate and start working they can be better off going for travel rewards cards such as the CSP/CSR that may better fit their needs down the line.

If you do not feel bothered answering the original query the OP had then perhaps it was better not to say anything especially if it cannot be communicated in a FSR manner as per the forum's guidelines.

Thank you for reading.

Message 9 of 24
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@simplynoirI made it very clear in last part: "Thats just my thoughts". EVERYONE is here to share thier thoughts and experience to help each other out. How you may use that, its entirely up to you. I have shared my views and experience over the years and continue to do so. If someone can benefit from it than great. Because I have many times the same way.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.