Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Card?

tag
etatauri
Established Member

Re: Next Card?

Probably start with the Freedom Unlimited. Their intro 1 year returns are 3x points, then 1.5x after that. When you think you will travel within a year you can apply for the Saphire Preferred or Reserve to get the sign up bonus. After your travel is done you can downgrade it to the Freedom to avoid the annual fee.

I myself am getting the Unlimited next week to have a general spending card.

Capital One Savor 20,000 |||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 15,000 |||| American Express Blue Cash Preferred 11,000 |||| Venmo 10,000 |||| Macy's Amex 10,000 |||| Amazon Prime Signature Visa (Chase) 6,900 |||| Citi Double Cash 6,500 |||| Wells Fargo Platinum 6,000 |||| Chase Freedom Unlimited 5,700 |||| Paypal Credit 4,250 |||| Gap (Synchrony) 3,500 |||| Total CL: 98,850

EX: 812 |||| TU: 792 |||| EQ: 792 (As of Apr. 28, 2022)

Message 11 of 24
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I'll second the Freedom Unlimited as a great general spend card, especially if you think Chase's Ultimate Rewards program would be of benefit to you. In the future, you could compliment it with a CSP/CSR to maximize your point value.
Message 12 of 24
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Don’t apply for a Chase card unless your oldest card is at least a year old and your youngest card is at least three months old. Your newer card is fine, but we don’t know the age of your older card.

Also, I’d hold off on a Sapphire product until your card profile is a bit older and thicker. If your oldest card is at least a year old, you should be fine for one of the Freedom cards.
Message 13 of 24
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

If you have over a year of history, the Chase Freedom or FU would probably be great all-around cards. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

My oldest card is right under 2 years old at the moment. I will look into the Freedom cards.

What are your thoughts on trying to go for a United Explorer/MileagePlus card or the Marriot Bonvoy cards? I fly with United enough that I was thinking some of the benefits would be helpful for me. What are your thoughts on any of these cards?

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

First, I am not looking to brag in front of my friends. I personally pay every card in full every month and have never carried a balance so I am interested in the reward heavy cards because the APR does not matter when I am paying my cards in full every month.

Also, I already have a strong relationship with my local CU so thank you for your advice but you did not answer my question.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you I will look into both!

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your super helpful response. I will definitely look into this card.

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

The brand specific cards are fine if you're only using them for Primary payment to those brands.  Outside of those brands they suck for earning anything on them.

CFU is 3% first year on ALL purchases.  The only other card that is doing that would be Disco Miles.

If you get the CFU and pull 3% for the first year and then say next year decide to go CSP or CSR w/ Chase you can transfer the UR's to the airline of your choice.  Plus if you apply for either card you get a bonus as well.  

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @simplynoir, I appreciate it. 

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.