Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Cards to get

tag
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Next Cards to get

I wasn't sure where to put this but i'm looking for opinions on what order to go for my next round of cards. My current line up is in my signature, and i'm at 3/24.

I know i'm months away from doing anything, but I'd like to plan my calendar so i'm looking for opinions.

My next card will be the Chase Freedom Unlimited to maximize my CSP UR points, in about 4-6 months.

Next on my list is:

Chase Prime rewards visa signature

Amex Platinum

BofA Cash rewards

I'd really like to get the Amex Platinum in the next 6-9 months, as we travel around January/February for a ski trip. Access to the centurion lounge would be nice to have then.

However i know the prime rewards card is under 5/24 and don't wanna lose out being able to get it until 2021. So, should i get the Prime Rewards card first and wait longer for the Platinum? Is there absolutely no chance of getting the Prime card after 5/24?

|  
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Next Cards to get

5/24 is a pretty strict rule, only known way to bypass is if you are at 5/24 and you have a "selected for you" offer on your chase account, which may or may not happen.

you can't app one of these under your spouse/family/friend' name?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyFault wrote:

However i know the prime rewards card is under 5/24 and don't wanna lose out being able to get it until 2021. 

So, you have already applied for/gotten three new cards this year? Looking at your signature, that would have doubled your number of cards in around 6 months. I'd probably slow down a bit just in case one of my lenders see that as aggressive credit seeking. They seem to be pretty sketchy about that lately judging by the posts on here.

Message 3 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Do you do a lot of Amazon spending to get the card? Because it's worth noting that even if you get these next round of cards at the end of the year you're still flirting with the danger zone. I would prioritize what cards you need for your spend and go from there. If that means going for the Unlimited and Platinum with the Amazon card going on the wayside then so be it. Option you can explore if that happens is getting the Synchrony version  of the Amazon card which is pretty much the same as its Chase counterpart but even then I'd wait til March/April of next year if FU/Plat are next up before getting it

Message 4 of 8
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

You mentioned that you have up coming travelling and you mentioned that you would like to maximize your Chase UR points. Why not hold out on the Amex Platinum and allow CSP to do what you presumably got it for. CFU and CSP are a great tandem team.

Message 5 of 8
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MyFault wrote:

However i know the prime rewards card is under 5/24 and don't wanna lose out being able to get it until 2021. 

So, you have already applied for/gotten three new cards this year? Looking at your signature, that would have doubled your number of cards in around 6 months. I'd probably slow down a bit just in case one of my lenders see that as aggressive credit seeking. They seem to be pretty sketchy about that lately judging by the posts on here.

Yes. So maybe go with CFU in 6 months and then garden again for at least 6 more months before doing anything else? My AAoA is long enough that i think i'll be fine, and i don't keep balances on cards. But you're right, i absolutely don't want to spook Chase. I'm using it as my daily and my spending will give me enough points to earn at least one free trip per year, i don't want to lose that. I just really would like, the at minimum, to add the CFU to increase my points on non dining and travel spending.

@simplynoir wrote:

Do you do a lot of Amazon spending to get the card? Because it's worth noting that even if you get these next round of cards at the end of the year you're still flirting with the danger zone. I would prioritize what cards you need for your spend and go from there. If that means going for the Unlimited and Platinum with the Amazon card going on the wayside then so be it. Option you can explore if that happens is getting the Synchrony version  of the Amazon card which is pretty much the same as its Chase counterpart but even then I'd wait til March/April of next year if FU/Plat are next up before getting it

That makes sense. I do a lot of spending on Amazon, yes. However i do have the Discover IT cash card with 3% back in the first year, and an Amazon 5% quarterly bonus coming up in Q4 this year. So thinking about it further i don't need the prime rewards card honestly, so 5/24 isn't a huge deal. Except i've also been thinking about the Marriot Boundless, which is unfortunately also Chase. But other cards will definitely take priority over it.

@SoCalifornia wrote:
You mentioned that you have up coming travelling and you mentioned that you would like to maximize your Chase UR points. Why not hold out on the Amex Platinum and allow CSP to do what you presumably got it for. CFU and CSP are a great tandem team.

The idea is that i would either use my UR points for my Jan/Feb travel, or book the flight with my CSP and earn UR points with it. However, the platinum provides centurion lounge access, which we have here in Houston. Plus I would use the $200 airline incidental credit towards seat upgrades and checked baggage. The platinum wouldn't be a card i would use daily or use often, especially since i have the Amex ED to pool SUB's and additional points with, however i would use it for its hotel and airline perks and credits to cover the AF. We typically travel at least 2-3 times per year, so the perks will be used enough to justify the AF.

|  
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyFault wrote:

i'm at 3/24.

My next card will be the Chase Freedom Unlimited to maximize my CSP UR points, in about 4-6 months.

Next on my list is:

Chase Prime rewards visa signature Let's just take this out of the picture for now and replace it with the Sync Amazon card (easier to get and keeps the 5% rewards)

Amex Platinum You have the CSP and could potentially just upgrade to the CSR instead of mixing ecosystems and diluting your earn.  Besides the PP isn't that expensive to just purchase a couple of day passes.

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/join/step2 - $99 + $32/pp/pv or $299 w/ 10 free visits (covers the annual cost)

On the flip side the Centurion option for Platinum AF of $550 gets you + 2 people in each visit and additionals for $50/pp/pv

https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access

BofA Cash rewards -- I've taken a chance on them in the past couple of years and it's been very worthwhile from the standpoint of CL growth, it's also been quick to grow 

So, the biggest issue from a frugality standpoint is the CL vs PP accesss.  Is it really worth an extra $250 to go the Amex route for louge access?  

Now, if you don't want the Sync Amazon and insist on the Chase version that's fine and you can always bypass 5/24 when heading to a branch and asking what you're prequalified for.  

BOA PR Card.... $95 AF and some of the travel perks but, $500 bonus 

Then finally... you should probably take a look at this flow chart 

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/kevlarlover/Card+Recommendation+Flowchart+v12.html

Message 7 of 8
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MyFault wrote:

i'm at 3/24.

Next on my list is:

Chase Prime rewards visa signature Let's just take this out of the picture for now and replace it with the Sync Amazon card (easier to get and keeps the 5% rewards)

Amex Platinum You have the CSP and could potentially just upgrade to the CSR instead of mixing ecosystems and diluting your earn.  Besides the PP isn't that expensive to just purchase a couple of day passes.

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/join/step2 - $99 + $32/pp/pv or $299 w/ 10 free visits (covers the annual cost)

On the flip side the Centurion option for Platinum AF of $550 gets you + 2 people in each visit and additionals for $50/pp/pv

https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access

BofA Cash rewards -- I've taken a chance on them in the past couple of years and it's been very worthwhile from the standpoint of CL growth, it's also been quick to grow 

So, the biggest issue from a frugality standpoint is the CL vs PP accesss.  Is it really worth an extra $250 to go the Amex route for louge access?  

Now, if you don't want the Sync Amazon and insist on the Chase version that's fine and you can always bypass 5/24 when heading to a branch and asking what you're prequalified for.  

BOA PR Card.... $95 AF and some of the travel perks but, $500 bonus 

Then finally... you should probably take a look at this flow chart 

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/kevlarlover/Card+Recommendation+Flowchart+v12.html

After thinking about it further, i agree on the prime cards. Let's see how i feel next year after Q4 with my Discover IT card, and i have 3% back until June next year. Also, i'm curious about the 5% bonus quarter for 2020.

PP isn't what draws me to the Amex Platinum, only the centurion lounge. I agree with not mixing the ecosystems, however it keeps me from being locked into one bank (Chase). I do plan to upgrade my CSP to CSR next year, so i would continue to use the CSP/CSR and CFU as my daily cards. The Platinum SUB would compliment my Amex ED SUB, plus centurion lounge, and Marriott Gold status. Also, i can easily offset the Amex $550 AF with Global Entry (first year), airline incidental credits, uber credits, etc. Again, i don't plan on mixing my use of the Platinum and CSP. After the intial SUB i would use it solely to cover AF credits and for its perks.

I've read a lot about the BofA cards being quick to grow and that's largely my appeal to them. I have checking & savings with BofA also. I may look at the PR card down the road, but i don't want a BofA $95 AF card as of now.

Regarding stopping by a Chase branch to check pre-approvals, i don't have an account with Chase. Could i still do that? What's the difference between checking my chase account for offers or pre-approvals, vs going into the branch?

So, right now i'm thinking CFU in as close to 6 months as possible unless i get an offer in my chase account. Then Amex Platinum, then BofA cash rewards. That should cover me for the next 6-12 months, and i can decided where to go from there at that time. Probably garden for another 12 and then get the two additional Chase cards i want, if they're still around. (Chase Prime, and Marriott Boundless).

Thanks everyone for your help, i think i've got a roadmap.

|  
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.