cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next credit card for a young, thin file?

tag
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: Next credit card for a young, thin file?

Thinking of AMEX revolver with a SUB ?  They are amicable to thin clean files and then garden before going for a Chase in a year?

Message 11 of 23
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Thinking of AMEX revolver with a SUB ?  They are amicable to thin clean files and then garden before going for a Chase in a year?

I definitely think that's a solid plan. Now which Chase card....Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 20 yr old son wants the Uber card which I love.  4% on all restaurants.  2% for all online purchases and Uber.  3% on travel (hotel and flights).  For a young person that might eat out a lot 4% is the best return I have seen out there.  If you pay your cell phone bill with it you also get free insurance on your phone.   Spend $500 in the first 3 months and get $100 back.  

Message 13 of 23
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My 20 yr old son wants the Uber card which I love.  4% on all restaurants.  2% for all online purchases and Uber.  3% on travel (hotel and flights).  For a young person that might eat out a lot 4% is the best return I have seen out there.  If you pay your cell phone bill with it you also get free insurance on your phone.   Spend $500 in the first 3 months and get $100 back.  

Huh. I've heard mentions of the Uber card here and there, but had no idea it offered all that. I'll definitely have to do some homework over the next two months. Thanks for the suggestion!

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLEXH25 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have any desire to get into the Chase ecosystem now, or in the future, I would app for the Freedom/Freedom Unlimited just to get in due to 5/24. If you find an Amex that works for your spend, that would be a great option as well.

I definitely think my next card will be Amex. I prequalified for their ED and one other, last week. I'll see what comes up in a couple of months when I'm ready to pull the trigger. I'm very attracted to the Propel, but I'm not entirely sure what kind of profiles they like or if I can put the right spend on it to maximize the benefits.

I thought Chase likes a more mature profile. Maybe they can be #5 after aging 1 - 4 a bit?

The Propel is a good card, I unfortunately won't be able to tell you the DP for new applicants with no WF history (I got mine as a "PC" from the old college visa I had in 2011). Its very similar to the Uber Visa, except the Uber card gets better rewards on dining and a slightly better return on spend for streaming (+ a more broad streaming catagory). Its also a Visa, not an Amex, so it is accepted in more places, especially overseas. Both cards have cell phone protection. The Propel is metal and has a broader travel category, which includes gas, transit, tolls, etc. 

I'm not sure if you know this, but many people don't when they are considering an Amex card: the Propel isn't part of the Amex line. It uses the Amex merchant/payment system (the actual word escapes me) but it isn't a true Amex-brand card. The rewards you earn are the WF Go Rewards points, and its ran entirely thru WF. Again, not saying you didn't know, but I have seen people here think the Propel earns MR points or is part of the Amex line, which isn't true. 

Message 15 of 23
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLEXH25 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have any desire to get into the Chase ecosystem now, or in the future, I would app for the Freedom/Freedom Unlimited just to get in due to 5/24. If you find an Amex that works for your spend, that would be a great option as well.

I definitely think my next card will be Amex. I prequalified for their ED and one other, last week. I'll see what comes up in a couple of months when I'm ready to pull the trigger. I'm very attracted to the Propel, but I'm not entirely sure what kind of profiles they like or if I can put the right spend on it to maximize the benefits.

I thought Chase likes a more mature profile. Maybe they can be #5 after aging 1 - 4 a bit?

The Propel is a good card, I unfortunately won't be able to tell you the DP for new applicants with no WF history (I got mine as a "PC" from the old college visa I had in 2011). Its very similar to the Uber Visa, except the Uber card gets better rewards on dining and a slightly better return on spend for streaming (+ a more broad streaming catagory). Its also a Visa, not an Amex, so it is accepted in more places, especially overseas. Both cards have cell phone protection. The Propel is metal and has a broader travel category, which includes gas, transit, tolls, etc. Very good points to consider - thanks for the side-by-side comparison. I've been a Wells Fargo customer forever (was with Wachovia before they were taken over, and with First Union before that), but just checking accounts. No other products. Not sure if that makes any difference.

I'm not sure if you know this, but many people don't when they are considering an Amex card: the Propel isn't part of the Amex line. It uses the Amex merchant/payment system (the actual word escapes me) but it isn't a true Amex-brand card. The rewards you earn are the WF Go Rewards points, and its ran entirely thru WF. Again, not saying you didn't know, but I have seen people here think the Propel earns MR points or is part of the Amex line, which isn't true. I actually wasn't 100% clear on that point. I kinda wondered about that, but now I know. Thanks!

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLEXH25 wrote:

The Propel is a good card, I unfortunately won't be able to tell you the DP for new applicants with no WF history (I got mine as a "PC" from the old college visa I had in 2011). Its very similar to the Uber Visa, except the Uber card gets better rewards on dining and a slightly better return on spend for streaming (+ a more broad streaming catagory). Its also a Visa, not an Amex, so it is accepted in more places, especially overseas. Both cards have cell phone protection. The Propel is metal and has a broader travel category, which includes gas, transit, tolls, etc. Very good points to consider - thanks for the side-by-side comparison. I've been a Wells Fargo customer forever (was with Wachovia before they were taken over, and with First Union before that), but just checking accounts. No other products. Not sure if that makes any difference.

I believe that relationship would definitely help. I can't give you any hard data lol, but WF seems to be a bank that likes to get people to diversify within their ecosystem. I had a savings with WF since I was 8, then checking around 15 (with my parents on it). When I turned 18 I transferred everything to my name and app'd for the College visa, which I was instantly approved for with a limit around $1,500 IIRC and no credit history at all. That was a while ago though, but I would think you have a good shot at the Propel. If you like WF, I'd say go for it if the rewards line up for you!

Message 17 of 23
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Sooooo I was falling down a rabbit hole of old posts (as I often do), and found a link for Cap1 product change. Logged in and saw I’m eligible for the QuickSilver rewards, so I accepted! Same CL and I know I’m still bucketed, but at least it’s a step in the right direction (and no new HPs). This early in the game, every month matters, so I’m keeping it for the age (& cash back!).

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the PC 🎉 Gotta update that sig Smiley Wink
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

just came to say that you have a pretty good set of cards for starting out. keep it up!

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.