Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next steps?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Next steps?

Long time lurker first time poster, hello everyone.

Currently I have 3 cards
C1 QS (PC'd from Plat) $500 SL
C1 QS1 $500 SL
Discover IT $750 SL

I been reading a lot about gardening, and was thinking since I got 3 alright cards (just closed my credit one account with $0 balance) to let these counts mature and grow. My current score is 660 across the board and would love to get a house loan in the future. Thoughts and opinions?
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Next steps?

Your current plan is perfect. Just keep using those cards well. They’ll grow for you soon, especially that Disco!
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I been thinking about using the cards for my everyday spending then PIF every month, I mostly use my debit card currently. Right now with the 3 cards I have I can do roughly $520 in transactions and stay under the 30% util
Message 3 of 36
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I been thinking about using the cards for my everyday spending then PIF every month, I mostly use my debit card currently. Right now with the 3 cards I have I can do roughly $520 in transactions and stay under the 30% util

You can actually use your cards up to your limit, you just dont want them reporting maxed out. 

Use as much as you need and make a payment before statement cuts to bring utilization down due to lower limits. 

Put the debit card away, you get nothing for paying with it 

Message 4 of 36
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

" You can actually use your cards up to your limit, you just dont want them reporting maxed out.

Use as much as you need and make a payment before statement cuts to bring utilization down due to lower limits.

Put the debit card away, you get nothing for paying with it "

+1

Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it sounds like I need to figure out what I can spend safely each month not to over do it
Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to ease into using them without going overboard, just spend up to 175 across them a month (I don’t know your other finances) You have effectively 1750 all together so that’s 10% your utilization. Example is: That’s a dinner or two out (50), gas for the month (50), and groceries for a month for one (~125). Very safe for your report and easily able to claw out of if your feel you are spending too much.

Only spend it on stuff you know you normally would spend it on and you will be fine. If you start putting stuff that you haven’t saved for on them, that’s where you start to get in trouble.
Message 7 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could rotate cards out each month and put rent on it each month $450. Family of 4 groceries is about $100-150 each month.
Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm... you could do that if you know that works for you. (Make sure you are accounting if they charge a fee for credit card payments vs check. Will easily negate your rewards)

But you do have that IT card so targeting gas on it this quarter net 5% cash back vs 1.5% on rent on the QS.

Sorry, my rewards hunting is showing Lol
Message 9 of 36
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I’ve been trying to use my QS and Disco more to take advantage of rewards too. Normally use my debit too but there’s no advantage to that, except seeing what your balance is. The trick is to pay multiple times a month, at least once a week. Helps keep track of spending, and keeps utilization low. Doesn’t hurt to put a few monthly bills on one or two of the cards either, to keep spending consistent. Just be mindful of the statement cut dates for each card and what it reports.

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.