Re: Nice surprise from Nationwide!

I believe my BT was 4500.  I had a flat $75.00 X-fer fee

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 11 of 17
rom828
Established Contributor

Thanks for the info,  Bungalow!

I want to transfer about $5K from 4-5 cards so I'll be looking at the 3% per BT rate, but it will still save me $ to have to have 0% for 6 mos and the regular Nationwide % is less than the ones I'd be transferring.

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 12 of 17
xecutioner
Established Member

Why don't you try to max out a one time balance transfer to save money on the balance transfer fee?

With Citi bank, you're able to request them to do a balance transder to your checking account or to cut you a check, and you can use that check to pay to other account. I think it's wise to pay a one time fee of $75 compares to paying multiple fees of 3%.

Message 13 of 17
rom828
Established Contributor

I would have loved to have done so,  X!

As a matter of fact, I first apped for Citi after receiving a pre-app offer w/15 mos @ 0% for BT.  I know they let you put $ in checking, which is what I would have preferred so I could pay as many as I wanted with only the $75 fee.

Unfortunately, Citi denied me based on having a  PR on report   (paid $500 State Tax lien due to drop 03-11) and balances too high on other accounts.  I've seen where others have rec'd Citi cards with PRs on report, but I guess having that combined with 35% utilization was not what they're looking for !  I still contend that it seems odd they would send offers touting the great BT offer when they are put off by 35% utilization!!

Message 14 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

@rom828 wrote:

I would have loved to have done so,  X!

@Anonymous a matter of fact, I first apped for Citi after receiving a pre-app offer w/15 mos @ 0% for BT.  I know they let you put $ in checking, which is what I would have preferred so I could pay as many as I wanted with only the $75 fee.

Unfortunately, Citi denied me based on having a  PR on report   (paid $500 State Tax lien due to drop 03-11) and balances too high on other accounts.  I've seen where others have rec'd Citi cards with PRs on report, but I guess having that combined with 35% utilization was not what they're looking for !  I still contend that it seems odd they would send offers touting the great BT offer when they are put off by 35% utilization!!

it is like most other 'prime' loans--prospectives who look like they don't need it all that much are the preferred candidates.  This goes double for debt consolidation loans which carry very high risk for lenders, BTs offer something of a work around but many who issue them still balk at highish UTI in many cases.

Unfortunately 35 is generally (and apparently with your app) considered quite high to be carrying at new application. The ones who get in with relatively high uti generally have many other strengths that somehow outweigh it, but it is still typically the exception to approve over 30%, not the rule with most lenders.

Again, you are eligible for the USB co brands (everyone is) the limited service areas only refers to their own card products -not their co-brands, currently the active deals are only 6 mos with no bt fee, still better than many others.  Ideally should have lower uti and highish scores at app. perhaps they'll issue another 12 mos deal when you may be ready to consider it.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 15 of 17
rom828
Established Contributor

I'm just thankful that Nationwide didn't think my utilization or other factors a negative,  and gave me  a nice CL and 6 mos 0% BT.

This will help me get the debt paid down faster and then hopefully I can apply for Citi again when PR drops and utilzation is reduced.

Message 16 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

@rom828 wrote:

I'm just thankful that Nationwide didn't think my utilization or other factors a negative,  and gave me  a nice CL and 6 mos 0% BT.

This will help me get the debt paid down faster and then hopefully I can apply for Citi again when PR drops and utilzation is reduced.

Great, gl!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.