Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nice while it lasted - AMEX FR!

tag
McArthur
Regular Contributor

Re: Nice while it lasted - AMEX FR!

If you did cancel, you can reapply again in April, get a backdated card and when they FR you they can use your 2012 taxes.

Message 21 of 31
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@McArthur wrote:

If you did cancel, you can reapply again in April, get a backdated card and when they FR you they can use your 2012 taxes.

Good plan

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 22 of 31
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

I am always unhappy to hear Amex horror stories. Some people's experience with Amex seems to be so over-the-top unreasonable. I hope this gets resolved for you in a manner that you can live with.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 23 of 31
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

@McArthur wrote:

I was thinking the same thing.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 24 of 31
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Tell them you have a joint tax filing and the other party objects to providing the information to Amex.
It can't be separated and they cannot "force" someone else to capitulate.
Most of the time they will fall back to pay stubs, 1099s etc etc.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 25 of 31
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Ultimately though, they can do pretty much what they want. It is their account.

Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 26 of 31
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Pilotdude wrote:
Tell them you have a joint tax filing and the other party objects to providing the information to Amex.
It can't be separated and they cannot "force" someone else to capitulate.
Most of the time they will fall back to pay stubs, 1099s etc etc.

Is this accurate? This is the first time I have read this. It would be great since it would at least give people an alternative. But as another poster said...it is still Amex's account and they will do what they want to do.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 27 of 31
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Yea.  I know someone who had success with them this way.  It makes sense that a person who is not an Amex account holder might not want Amex looking that their financials via the IRS. 

Of course they can still say "nope" but its harder.  For my buddy they just fell back to requesting his Paystubs and some identity documentation.  He sent it in with a letter stating his total picture and they accepted that.   I think he needed the four most recent stubs or something. 

Just be warned, they can and still might say no. 

Message 28 of 31
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So looks like my experience with American Express will be less than 1 month. 

Despite the fact that they had me send in bank statements AND pay stubs prior to approving my application, Amex today hit me with an FR...**bleep**

I only worked 3 months in 2011 (took a long sabbatical from work to take care of my father after he had a stroke), so even if I agreed, my income for the year would only show $45K and not my 2012 income which was over $130k and was also what I put on the app. So even IF I sent the tax forms, they would still shut me down. When I said this to the agent she replied,

"well sir we have to be able to verify your information"

I replied, "but that information is not current, it is outdated and does not tell the story of what happened to me in 2011, AND you have already seen my actual income at the time of application. My 2011 numbers in no way show my ability to pay current debts. Can I give you 2010 taxes, I still work at the same company."

her scripted reply "well sir, if you can't verify the income American Express may have to take adverse action. We can not take your 2010 taxes as those are dated///"

My reply, "So if I can not verify my current income through outdated data from 2011, and not current data, you may close my account? And, I can not use outdated data from 2010 because it is outdated but outdated data from 2011 is current enough to be used for these purposes?"

"yes"

HOW IS THIS AN ACCEPTABLE BUSINESS PRACTICE!!!! Looks like I am closing my card.

edit: I also offered to file 2012 taxes sooner than originally planned and let them take those, they again rejected and said it has to be from 2011. 

It's not a hard decision at all. Axe it.

Your not buying a house, it's just a Credit Card. They have no right to be so intrusive with tax returns. Let them keep their card.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 29 of 31
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

^^^ +100

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.