Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Cash next year?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No Cash next year?

Hi, guys and gals.

Since I primarily use 2 credit cards for everything, AMEX BCP and Citi DC (and sometimes Target MC), I rarely (if ever) use cash (but my wife does).

For the new year, I am thinking of going completely cashless and just using cards. 

I also don't pay for anything with my phone and do not want to.

I am curious about how many others do not carry ANY cash and do not pay with iphone apps, and whether this has proved to be a problem in any meaningful way. What is the worst that has ever happened with you?

My wife thinks that I should carry at least $20, but I really prefer to keep my wallet (Bellroy Slim Sleeve) as thin as possible.

This is, I admit, a little off-topic, but please share your thoughts/experiences.

Happy Holidays, by the way !! Smiley LOL

Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: No Cash next year?

Cash is always king, I carry it at all times as you never know when there is going to be a power outage or other disruption to electronic systems. I would not advocate going completely cashless in your wallet.
Message 2 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s probably been decades since cash was my primary method of payment. I do carry a small amount with me, however. A $20 or a $50 or a $100 bill doesn’t take up that much real estate in your wallet. You never know when you’ll want to buy something from a small place that’s cash only, or maybe a store’s credit card processing is down, etc.

Message 3 of 54
Mv350
Valued Contributor

I only carry cash unless I forsee needing it. Mainly when I am going to an event, or going out of town. 

Although I've carried the same 2 dollar bill in my wallet for the last 5 years, and added a couple more about 6 months ago. 

Message 4 of 54
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I always carry at least $100 on me as two of my favorite places to eat only accept cash. I've also ran into issues where I've needed it as a tip. But other than that, I pretty much only use my cards.

Message 5 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

I carry the same $20 for months at a time in Canada, but find I need cash in the US (Manhattan). Not for emergencies, but for that bottle of water or pizza slice you suddenly need desperately. 

I couldn't imagine using physical cards anywhere if I didn't have to, but pretty much anywhere contactless is accepted you can use a physical card, so it wouldn't make things tougher for you.

Since you're committed to carrying cards anyway, not slipping a thin $20 bill in with them seems a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

Message 6 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think I ever carried cash for the last decade.

I do have quarters in my car for parking meters and Aldi shopping carts. I also carry a debt card in case I need cash. I think as long as inside US is concerned, cashless is fine for almost all occasions.

Message 7 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mv350 wrote:

Although I've carried the same 2 dollar bill in my wallet for the last 5 years, and added a couple more about 6 months ago. 

I do that too - I have a pair of them in mine Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't remember the last time I intentionally carried cash with me. If I need cash when I'm out, I have debit cards to hit up an ATM with or my Discover card for cashover. When I carry cash, I spend it. It never fails. I am awful with cash which is weird because I'm great with plastic. 

Message 9 of 54
TSlop
Valued Contributor

I try to at least carry some cash for emergencies or impromptu lunch orders at work. But these days, it is basically $20 or less since I use credit cards as much as possible for points/cash back.

Message 10 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.