Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Cash next year?

tag
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Re: No Cash next year?

Their are a few places I go that don't take credit cards at all, Like the barber shop I use, or when I stop by Am/PM to buy a soda. The dry cleaners I use offers a discount for cash more then any kickback from a CC.

Message 31 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Andypanda wrote:

Their are a few places I go that don't take credit cards at all, Like the barber shop I use, or when I stop by Am/PM to buy a soda. The dry cleaners I use offers a discount for cash more then any kickback from a CC.

Oh boy, that's two ot you mentioning cash discounts. And I've gotten them too, so that's 3 of us. We had a discussion on that topic before and was told that it just doesn't happen anymore, but it does. But that's another subject,  old tired subject.. 

Message 32 of 54
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Cash. Don't leave home without it. 

Message 33 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

These days it's so easy to withdraw cash using your phone or debit card (that reimburses atm fees) that there's no need to carry too much cash on you.
Message 34 of 54
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Andypanda wrote:

Oh boy, that's two ot you mentioning cash discounts. And I've gotten them too, so that's 3 of us. We had a discussion on that topic before and was told that it just doesn't happen anymore, but it does. But that's another subject,  old tired subject.. 

There are a lot of places around me that offer discounts for cash payments.  The best example would be gas stations.  Although if you have a 4% or 5% gas category card, the cash discount is less than you'll make in rewards.  My barber will happily take a credit card, but if you pay cash, gives a 3% discount.

I personally like to carry enough cash to cover a full tank of gas and a day's worth of meals, that equates to about $100 (I have a 22 gallon tank in my vehicle).  While I prefer to use a card, it doesn't "bother" me to use cash if the situation calls for it.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 35 of 54
bergrides
Regular Contributor

I still carry about $60 in my wallet, but use CC for almost everything. 

Exceptions:

- Slowly getting DW to use credit card if over the merchant CC limit (usually $10). 

- Many times I will go into a small business and spend less than $10 so I have to use cash. 

- I like having some cash on me in case of emergencies. 

- Going out to dinner with a group always works better with cash when it comes time to split up the bill.

Message 36 of 54
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@bergrides wrote:

I still carry about $60 in my wallet, but use CC for almost everything. 

Exceptions:

- Slowly getting DW to use credit card if over the merchant CC limit (usually $10). 

- Many times I will go into a small business and spend less than $10 so I have to use cash. 

- I like having some cash on me in case of emergencies. 

- Going out to dinner with a group always works better with cash when it comes time to split up the bill.

Everyone should have Venmo or something easier. Or have them give you cash and get the points. Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dalmus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Andypanda wrote:

There are a lot of places around me that offer discounts for cash payments.  The best example would be gas stations.  Although if you have a 4% or 5% gas category card, the cash discount is less than you'll make in rewards.  My barber will happily take a credit card, but if you pay cash, gives a 3% discount.

I personally like to carry enough cash to cover a full tank of gas and a day's worth of meals, that equates to about $100 (I have a 22 gallon tank in my vehicle).  While I prefer to use a card, it doesn't "bother" me to use cash if the situation calls for it.

There's 2 golf courses near me that now charge a fee for using cards. One charges 2.5%, and another 3%. That's more than my rewards rate. It's basically a cash discount to pay with cash. So yes, they are alive and well. 

Message 38 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the early days of CC and debit cards I started not to carry cash on me. I figured why? Just about veryone accepted plastic.

@gdale6 wrote:
Cash is always king, I carry it at all times as you never know when there is going to be a power outage or other disruption to electronic systems. I would not advocate going completely cashless in your wallet.

Then this happened! ^

Now i don't leave home without it! Always have a couple $5 or $10 bills for general use, and then a folded up hidden $100 bill in my phone for a just in case. It has saved me a few times, as well as a friend. I also keep excess change in my car for machines etc. and a stash for Coffee Money.

It's never a good idea to become dependant on only one thing.

Message 39 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In the early days of CC and debit cards I started not to carry cash on me. I figured why? Just about veryone accepted plastic.

@gdale6 wrote:
Cash is always king, I carry it at all times as you never know when there is going to be a power outage or other disruption to electronic systems. I would not advocate going completely cashless in your wallet.

Then this happened! ^

Now i don't leave home without it! Always have a couple $5 or $10 bills for general use, and then a folded up hidden $100 bill in my phone for a just in case. It has saved me a few times, as well as a friend. I also keep excess change in my car for machines etc. and a stash for Coffee Money.

It's never a good idea to become dependant on only one thing.

Most, but not all, have backup payment options. Paper credit card forms. Cash registers today are electronic, so paying with cash doesn't solve it. Those who don't have a backup option put themselves at risk. I had it happen to me. Went to pay my restaurant bill but the power went out. The backup lighting worked, but no backup payment option. I had $3 cash and a $20 gift card.  I told them they could have it, but it won't cover the entire bill and I left after waiting 5 or 10 minutes. If they had a credit card payment slip, I would have been fine using that. I've had the paper slip option happen twice. Official papers slips work fine. 

Message 40 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.