Moderator Emerita

Re: No Discover Luv Without a HP...

Message 11 of 20
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
@colinstu

Discover can be conservative with CLI's but they can also be generous. I've noticed that if the file isn't clean, auto/sp CLI's are slim. Clean files seems to have it a lot easier with sp CLI's.

I barely use my Discover card since I got it few months ago and already got 2 auto CLI so far this year. (every 3 months).

I had a friend that got a Discover card around the same time I did, and he also got an auto CLI after 3 months, but he got only 1 auto cli. 

Whoever said Discover not being generous, they are wrong. Heck I was Chase would be generous. Smiley Very Happy

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 12 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@IcEWoLF

Your experience sounds like mine! Including Chase Smiley Sad
Message 13 of 20
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
@IcEWoLF

Your experience sounds like mine! Including Chase Smiley Sad

Maybe things will be different now since I paid off my auto loan from chase last month. Maybe they will be little nicer to me now. Smiley Very Happy

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 14 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It didn't work for me..I paid mine off in March.

Fingers crossed for you!
Message 15 of 20
hot4u
Established Contributor

Discover was my lowest limit card. Decided to clean up cards I don't use and got rid of them.

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 16 of 20
enharu
Super Contributor

It's really just 1 inquiry on TU for a CLI request for discover. If you are in a predominantly EX / EQ area, a HP on TU really doesn't matter at all. I went ahead and did a hp CLI anyhow since my only other inquiry on TU is by Barclays.

From what I have seen they can be pretty generous for hp CLIs, as long as you are able to convince the analyst that you will be utilizing that credit line. If you just want it for padding purposes, look elsewhere, such as GE. Since you said you don't use the card much, your odds are not as good. Is there a reason why you even need or want a CLI on a card you barely use?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 17 of 20
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

I've had my Discover card for almost two years and have only received one CLI of $500.  I've requested CLI's twice and have been denied.  I've used them quite heavily and have always paid large amounts of the balance each month, but they just won't budge.  I've had high utl, low utl, Scores have always been pretty consistent as when I was approved for the card, have never paid late, and always paid more than due,  but still no love. Not sure what they look for to qualify for a CLI. 

Meanwhile, all my other cards continue to grow slowly leaving Discover in the dust.  I've actually thought about closing the Discover card because it simply will not grow.  For now, it's sock drawered until I pay off what's left of the balance and then I guess I'll decide.  I would keep it and just sock drawer for good, but not sure if they would end up closing it for inactivity if I did that.

Message 18 of 20
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I am in the same boat. Discover is now 10 months and from 6th statement onward I have tried to get the CL with SP via website or phone to match my 2nd lowest and no luck either. Heavy use did not help so now on SD mode and see what this will do. When Discover does account reviews which bureau do they use? While I have quite a few AR for Citi and Cap1 on EQ I wonder if Discover pulls EX or TU for AR?
Message 19 of 20
colinstu
Regular Contributor

I'm in WI and they used TU for my initial application for the card and for the CLI request. Not sure what they use for AR but probably the same. Not sure if you can talk them into using another. Good score or not, they don't seem to be happy with lots of inqs and low AAoA. Your best bet would to just SD it for awhile and not get any more HPs. 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.