Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No FTF card recommendations?

tag
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

No FTF card recommendations?

I'd like a Visa card for Costco spend and I need a card with no FTF that I can use when we travel. It would be ideal if these could be the same card, just for simplicity sake. I was thinking of a USAA card for that purpose, but am open to suggestions.

Thank you for any assistance!

The background info:

Paring down my cards -

In the keep pile: Amex BCP, Citi DC, Target

In the close pile: AmEx Delta Gold - just closed today, Chase Disney (once rewards are used up), Chase SP - PC'd to Freedom Unlimited for the time being until I find a replacement Visa card, Barclay SM - because nerfed, Barclay Arrival+

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Re: No FTF card recommendations?

Wanted to mention, I think it was Revelate who posted about the new card USAA has out, but it's not in my state yet and I don't see that card being feasible long-term. I can move $1k of direct deposits to USAA if necessary, but really want a card for the long haul.

Message 2 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

Capital One Quicksilver with the No AF.

1.5% everywhere

No FTF

It should be issued as a VISA. Mine is converted from an old Platinum MC, but I think new are issued as VISA.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 11
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

How tolerant are you of annual fees? If so I recommend the Sapphire preferred, especially if travel is involved.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

As recommedned, the QS is a good No FTF card, with 1.5% no cash back. However, I think they just recently switched to Mastercard. On the Cap 1 website, it states the regular QS now comes with World Elite Mastercard Benefits. 

The NFCU Cash Rewards is No FTF and no annual fee and Visa. Right now there is a $200 bonus for $3K spend in 90 days. Like the QS it is 1.5% cashback.

Message 5 of 11
Gmood1
Super Contributor

How about the Merrill Lynch plus Signature Visa?
The daily rewards aren't anything special. They do give you 60,000 points for travel, equal to $1000 after meeting the spend. It's a no FTF card. It also comes with other travel features. No association to Merrill Lynch or BofA necessary. No AF either.

original.jpg

Message 6 of 11
elim
Senior Contributor

Looking at your experience and gardening time... CSR for the 100k UR's, 1.5x rate through portal, and $300 travel credit on anything (including GC's). Anyone freaking out about the AF, $1500 in travel will cover the $150 realised AF for 10 years.

Message 7 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:

I'd like a Visa card for Costco spend and I need a card with no FTF that I can use when we travel. It would be ideal if these could be the same card, just for simplicity sake. I was thinking of a USAA card for that purpose, but am open to suggestions.

Thank you for any assistance!

The background info:

Paring down my cards -

In the keep pile: Amex BCP, Citi DC, Target

In the close pile: AmEx Delta Gold - just closed today, Chase Disney (once rewards are used up), Chase SP - PC'd to Freedom Unlimited for the time being until I find a replacement Visa card, Barclay SM - because nerfed, Barclay Arrival+

Some no-foreign-transaction-fee cards:

Barclay Ring

PenFed Promise

Cap One Quicksilver

Alliant CU Platinum

Barclay JetBlue

Amex Platinum

Discover IT [but not great for overseas travel I'm told]

Cap One Spark [business card]

Bank of America travel rewards [business card]

NFCU Platinum

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@NRB525 wrote:

Capital One Quicksilver with the No AF.

1.5% everywhere

No FTF

It should be issued as a VISA. Mine is converted from an old Platinum MC, but I think new are issued as VISA.

While I'm a huge fan of my own Quicksilver Visa Signature, from what I can tell all new accounts (both QS and Venture) are now issued as World Elite MasterCards (at least if you apply from the main Capital One site).

The only Visa cards I can find on their site now are the Spark business cards and the Journey student card.  Smiley Frustrated

Up until just a few weeks ago, though, it was a solid Visa card to have.  (All new Venture and QS cards - not QS1 - were previously issued at Visa.)

Message 9 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As recommedned, the QS is a good No FTF card, with 1.5% no cash back. However, I think they just recently switched to Mastercard. On the Cap 1 website, it states the regular QS now comes with World Elite Mastercard Benefits. 

The NFCU Cash Rewards is No FTF and no annual fee and Visa. Right now there is a $200 bonus for $3K spend in 90 days. Like the QS it is 1.5% cashback.

Good to know. Capital One is not displaying the VISA / MC logo on the application images, which allows them to switch up where a particular card goes. My old Platinum was MC, converted to a QS MC, while new QS were VISA, and apparently back to MC. I must say though, the basic WMC QS benefits look stronger than many of the other travel cards I have.

What is the value of a NFCU Cash Rewards point? The 1.5% card is obvious, some of their other cards have a point system for rewards.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.