Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No amex cli since opening 8 months ago

tag
accjohn1990
Contributor

No amex cli since opening 8 months ago

I opened a amex everyday and blue cash 8 months ago.  The blue cash cl went up from 500 to 1000 as the result of a promo i was offered when i opened the account.  I just had to make at least one charge a month and make a payment every month.  Other than that increase neither card has been granted an increase.  My scores are mostly over 700 and my income is 25k with a $300 lot rent and no mortgage.  I do have a 55 inquiries.  Why haven't they increased my limit?  These cards are sitting in my filing box unused now since other cards have given me larger cl's

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: No amex cli since opening 8 months ago

Have you tried requesting a CLI? Amex allows you to request up to 3x your limit online. If they approve, great; if they deny then they'll give you a reason. Auto CLIs do happen, but only at their will. So request it if you haven't already. People have had great success in tripling their limits by requesting a 3x. Good luck!
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 16
accjohn1990
Contributor

I have made many requests and none get approved.  I will have to check the letter next time i get one.  I got in the habit of just throwing them out 

Message 3 of 16
thornback
Senior Contributor

Oh. Well, do you have a high debt/income ratio? High balanced mortgage, auto, student loans, etc.? I know amex us extremely cautious if your income is less than total debt.

I was working only part time and had $40K student loan debt while in graduate school, but 763 EX FICO. Amex approved me for $1k... but refused to give me a CLI because of my debt/income. When started working full time again, I updated my income and within a month started being approved for CLIs.

Find one of those denial letters and see what the reason is. Maybe it's something you can fix.

Edit: just noticed you said no mortgage. Auto loan?
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 16
accjohn1990
Contributor

I have 50k in federal student loans.  I will check the next letter i get to see if that is the issue.  Synchrony has been generous with cli's during this time though

Message 5 of 16
thornback
Senior Contributor

It's very likely that is why they won't extend more credit. I'm willing to bet that's the reason. Nothing you can do about that but pay the loans down or make some more money...lol. In the meantime, keep the card open and in good standing. When the time comes, they'll treat you right and you'll have a long standing relationship with them.
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can find your old denial letters by entering your information at this link:  Status Check Authentication

Message 7 of 16
accjohn1990
Contributor

I only see my cc applications on that page, not cli requests

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're correct.  I had a bit of a brain fart there....that link shows apps not CLI requests.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had one of those barelyget in the door with AMEX,  it took nearly two years to get an increase when I requested it.  I posted today in the credit approvals, my story it is titled Finally AMEX 1K starting limit to 5K.  They did not approve 1st two request.  They gave me one automatically when I did not use the card for like 8 months.  I requested a cli today and was instantly approved.

Good luck the increases can come.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.