cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No annual fee 3% CB for grocery and dining besides Cap1 and Bank of the west?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No annual fee 3% CB for grocery and dining besides Cap1 and Bank of the west?

So I asked this before and i'm curious what options there is for a 3% CB for Grocery and Dining besides the Cap1 SavorOne and the Bank of the west cash back world MasterCard. The Bank of the west card is a non-starter for me.

I was looking heavily at a Cap1 SavorOne but honestly it seems they don't people with their credit being too good or too poor. Seems like they want people at like a 650 FICO and when you start to approach over 700 your likely to be rejected. I guess they want to make money off interest and fees and not interchange fees. They have rejected people in the past for too few or no revolving accounts having a balance Smiley Happy

I did apply for it two years ago or so when my profile was very new and was denied with that being one of the reasons despite them giving me a pre-qualifcation. 

Thoughts? 

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
DONZI
Established Contributor

Re: No annual fee 3% CB for grocery and dining besides Cap1 and Bank of the west?

Navy Federal Credit Union has a More Rewards card (amex) which you might like.

• 3X points at restaurants and on food delivery
  • 3X points at supermarkets
  • 3X points on gas and transit
  • 1X points on everything else
2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 2 of 38
creditfan
Established Contributor

Re: No annual fee 3% CB for grocery and dining besides Cap1 and Bank of the west?

Message 3 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I asked this before and i'm curious what options there is for a 3% CB for Grocery and Dining besides the Cap1 SavorOne and the Bank of the west cash back world MasterCard. The Bank of the west card is a non-starter for me.

I was looking heavily at a Cap1 SavorOne but honestly it seems they don't people with their credit being too good or too poor. Seems like they want people at like a 650 FICO and when you start to approach over 700 your likely to be rejected. I guess they want to make money off interest and fees and not interchange fees. They have rejected people in the past for too few or no revolving accounts having a balance Smiley Happy

I did apply for it two years ago or so when my profile was very new and was denied with that being one of the reasons despite them giving me a pre-qualifcation. 

Thoughts? 

I don't think that's the case as I have over 700 score and got approved. The balance thing might be because they think people would just stock pile a bunch of credit and not use it. Seems weird to me but I don't think they deny higher scores lol. And your profile was thin back when you applied. I'm sure you could have gotten the platinum back then and then eventually got the savor one

Message 4 of 38
BenTramer1978
Regular Contributor

I would just go for the SavorOne. I just got it and all my scores were way over 700. 

Message 5 of 38
Trini88
Established Contributor

I got the SavorOne in June, my scores are in the 700s and it was the 4th credit card I applied for and received that month. My average age of accounts I believe said 9 or 10 months and I've had credit cards less than 2 years. 

Goal Cards:
Message 6 of 38
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous, my scores are up in the 700s and CapOne just sent me SavorOne pre-approval offers via my online CapOne account and E-Mail.  I'm gardening until sometime next year so I declined the offer, but I was definitely tempted.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 7 of 38
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous I don't know where you're located or know about your profile, but Synovus Cash Rewards offers 3% Dining (permanent) and let's you select an additional 3% category (groceries is one of those). They are generous with limits, not averse to high activity profiles (lots of apps or new cards), and their rewards post as soon as the charges do. 

They are based on the southeast region of the country. Savorone should be a good option as you mentioned 

Message 8 of 38
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thoughts? 

I think you need to stop basing your credit decisions off 2 years ago as 2 years is a long time in the credit world , especially if one factors 5/24 but is always tempted by something in meantime lol. You now have established credit history, and for a company like Capital One  who often approves all types of profiles,  giving a couple hps are not the end of the world. Imo. My personal opinion is life is too short, if you really want a credit card, go for it. If they say no, stinks, but there definitely are other credit cards out there and reward cards are a dime a dozen. Wish you luck on finding the right card but dont let hypotheticals stop you from applyingSmiley Wink

Message 9 of 38
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thoughts? 

I would go for the bank of the west card, honestly I wouldn't go with cap1... I would have never thought they would change their whole rewards structure but it is what it is. I still have the card and will continue to use it.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.