cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No annual fee 3% CB for grocery and dining besides Cap1 and Bank of the west?

tag
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: No annual fee 3% CB for grocery and dining besides Cap1 and Bank of the west?

@DONZI wrote:

Navy Federal Credit Union has a More Rewards card (amex) which you might like.

• 3X points at restaurants and on food delivery
  • 3X points at supermarkets
  • 3X points on gas and transit
  • 1X points on everything else

OP, this ☝is a great suggestion if you're a member or can become a member. 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 11 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No annual fee 3% CB for grocery and dining besides Cap1 and Bank of the west?

Golden 1 CU is open to anyone that lives/works in CA and has the card you're looking for.

Message 12 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So I asked this before and i'm curious what options there is for a 3% CB for Grocery and Dining besides the Cap1 SavorOne and the Bank of the west cash back world MasterCard. The Bank of the west card is a non-starter for me.

I was looking heavily at a Cap1 SavorOne but honestly it seems they don't people with their credit being too good or too poor. Seems like they want people at like a 650 FICO and when you start to approach over 700 your likely to be rejected. I guess they want to make money off interest and fees and not interchange fees. They have rejected people in the past for too few or no revolving accounts having a balance Smiley Happy

I did apply for it two years ago or so when my profile was very new and was denied with that being one of the reasons despite them giving me a pre-qualifcation. 

Thoughts? 

I think you need to stop basing your credit decisions off 2 years ago as 2 years is a long time in the credit world , especially if one factors 5/24 but is always tempted by something in meantime lol. You now have established credit history, and for a company like Capital One  who often approves all types of profiles,  giving a couple hps are not the end of the world. Imo. My personal opinion is life is too short, if you really want a credit card, go for it. If they say no, stinks, but there definitely are other credit cards out there and reward cards are a dime a dozen. Wish you luck on finding the right card but dont let hypotheticals stop you from applyingSmiley Wink

This is a good point. The issue with Cap1 tho is if they say no the penality is much higher then others as you take a HP at each bureau. You can apply apply and be denied the SUB but offered a card which is also kinda crappy. 

But as you say if you don't venture nothing to gain Smiley Happy 

The Navy Fed looks like a nice card but sadly I can't become a member there. 

Message 13 of 38
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous, while it is true CapOne hits applicants with 3 HPs, unless you already have a number of HP recorded at each credit bureau, there really is no point penalty as their HPs count as only 1 per bureau.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 14 of 38
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I asked this before and i'm curious what options there is for a 3% CB for Grocery and Dining besides the Cap1 SavorOne and the Bank of the west cash back world MasterCard. The Bank of the west card is a non-starter for me.

I was looking heavily at a Cap1 SavorOne but honestly it seems they don't people with their credit being too good or too poor. Seems like they want people at like a 650 FICO and when you start to approach over 700 your likely to be rejected. I guess they want to make money off interest and fees and not interchange fees. They have rejected people in the past for too few or no revolving accounts having a balance Smiley Happy

I did apply for it two years ago or so when my profile was very new and was denied with that being one of the reasons despite them giving me a pre-qualifcation. 

Thoughts? 

Where are you getting this from? As a number of commenters have stated, that is not the case.  Myself included. If you're interested in the card then go for it.

Message 15 of 38
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

I would try getting in the door with Amex, the BCE is 3% groceries and 2% gas. Only one hp from EX. I like Amex over the other ones because it is very smooth to use and are generous with limit increases. When you make a payment Amex will withdraw the money from your checking in a couple of hrs same day; I really like that. 
   No card is perfect, for 3% gas you can have BankOfAmerica, 3% dining, 3% drugstore, 5% travel Chase freedom, Citi DC for everyday else. 
   I'm focusing on 0 annual fee cards. Plenty of options and diversity is good.

@Anonymous 

Message 16 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Citi Costco Anywhere card offers 4% back on gas, including gas at Costco, up to $7000/year (averaging out to ~$583/month), and 3% back on restaurants and travel. The card itself doesn't have an AF and also doesn't have a FTF, but it does require Costco membership, which I guess could be considered an AF if you don't want to shop at Costco. The other downside is that rewards are issued only once per calendar year, and can only be spent at Costco.

The Citi Custom Cash offers 5% back in a category of your choice, which could be gas, or could be restaurants. The 5% back cap is $500/month, which isn't that much lower than the Costco Anywhere's ~$583/month cap (though the Costco Anywhere has the flexibility of a $7000/year cap instead of a monthly cap, which could help if, say, you don't drive much in October, but then drive cross country to see Grandpa for Thanksgiving). The Custom Cash has no AF and, of course, doesn't require Costco membership. And its rewards can be redeemed as straight cash back. It does, however, have a 3% FTF.

Message 17 of 38
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

I am surprised AOD hasn't been mentioned at this point.

Message 18 of 38
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

@DONZI wrote:

Navy Federal Credit Union has a More Rewards card (amex) which you might like.

• 3X points at restaurants and on food delivery
  • 3X points at supermarkets
  • 3X points on gas and transit
  • 1X points on everything else

OP, this ☝is a great suggestion if you're a member or can become a member. 

Those are nice numbers for a no AF cash back card but a few more that I like.

-No FTF on a no AF card. That is pretty rare. Nice for the gas & groceries abroad.

-Up to 10% discount on Delta flights. You can get the discount on price and pay with Delta points.

-Up to 25% discount on rental cars if you call in. Probably can price match online but its a lot of hassle.

-Travel roadside assistance. I wouldn't put this benefit up AAA but I would over CSR roadside.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/network/navyfederal/morerewards/cardbenefits.html

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 19 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

-No FTF on a no AF card. That is pretty rare. Nice for the gas & groceries abroad.

FWIW, not ALL that rare (but with Uber and PPMC getting rid of it, a little rarer).   All Cap One cards have no FTF, Chase Amazon, Discover, Citizens are ones I have that come to mind.

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.