cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No annual fee 3% CB for grocery and dining besides Cap1 and Bank of the west?

tag
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Re: No annual fee 3% CB for grocery and dining besides Cap1 and Bank of the west?

@Citylights18 wrote:

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

@DONZI wrote:

Navy Federal Credit Union has a More Rewards card (amex) which you might like.

• 3X points at restaurants and on food delivery
  • 3X points at supermarkets
  • 3X points on gas and transit
  • 1X points on everything else

OP, this ☝is a great suggestion if you're a member or can become a member. 

Those are nice numbers for a no AF cash back card but a few more that I like.

-No FTF on a no AF card. That is pretty rare. Nice for the gas & groceries abroad.

-Up to 10% discount on Delta flights. You can get the discount on price and pay with Delta points.

-Up to 25% discount on rental cars if you call in. Probably can price match online but its a lot of hassle.

-Travel roadside assistance. I wouldn't put this benefit up AAA but I would over CSR roadside.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/network/navyfederal/morerewards/cardbenefits.html

@Anonymous you said you can't become a member at Navy? Why is that? They're actually pretty flexible about what qualifies to get you in the door for a military connection. A "roommate" counts... basically, everyone with a NFCU membership gets a membership number that they can supply you with to "sponsor" you.

SD - Biz -
Message 21 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No annual fee 3% CB for grocery and dining besides Cap1 and Bank of the west?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

-No FTF on a no AF card. That is pretty rare. Nice for the gas & groceries abroad.

FWIW, not ALL that rare (but with Uber and PPMC getting rid of it, a little rarer).   All Cap One cards have no FTF, Chase Amazon, Discover, Citizens are ones I have that come to mind.

Agreed. There are a number of $0 AF, $0 FTF cashback cards. Fifth Third, which offers 2% cashback, has $0 AF and $0 FTF. Elan's Fidelity Rewards, which offers 2% cashback, has $0 AF and a 1% FTF (therefore the card effectively earns 1% cashback/$0 FTF abroad). And as mentioned by the previous poster, Citizens Bank, which offers 1.8% cashback, has $0 AF and $0 FTF.

Credit union cards often have $0 AF and $0 FTF. AOD's 3% cashback card has $0 AF/$0 FTF. Same with RBFCU's 2% cashback card. MidFlorida's 2.5% cashback card has $0 AF and a 1% FTF (therefore effectively 1.5% cashback/$0 FTF abroad).

Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LawStudentCivilis wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So I asked this before and i'm curious what options there is for a 3% CB for Grocery and Dining besides the Cap1 SavorOne and the Bank of the west cash back world MasterCard. The Bank of the west card is a non-starter for me.

I was looking heavily at a Cap1 SavorOne but honestly it seems they don't people with their credit being too good or too poor. Seems like they want people at like a 650 FICO and when you start to approach over 700 your likely to be rejected. I guess they want to make money off interest and fees and not interchange fees. They have rejected people in the past for too few or no revolving accounts having a balance Smiley Happy

I did apply for it two years ago or so when my profile was very new and was denied with that being one of the reasons despite them giving me a pre-qualifcation. 

Thoughts? 

Where are you getting this from? As a number of commenters have stated, that is not the case.  Myself included. If you're interested in the card then go for it.

Hum...

Just going around lots of people with good profiles getting denied and approvals elsewhere. 

It really seems there is a picky credit profile they want and if yours is too good your likely to be rejected as your not profitable. 

Of course all we can do is speculate but it seems people in that 650-680 are much more likely to be approved then if your at like 750. Lots of high 700 rejections and some mid 700s ish if you look around here and online. Lots of 800 rejections also. 

There is likely more to it just this is my perception. 

Message 23 of 38
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I asked this before and i'm curious what options there is for a 3% CB for Grocery and Dining besides the Cap1 SavorOne and the Bank of the west cash back world MasterCard. The Bank of the west card is a non-starter for me.

I was looking heavily at a Cap1 SavorOne but honestly it seems they don't approve people with their credit being too good or too poor. Seems like they want people at like a 650 FICO and when you start to approach over 700 your likely to be rejected. I guess they want to make money off interest and fees and not interchange fees. They have rejected people in the past for too few or no revolving accounts having a balance Smiley Happy

I did apply for it two years ago or so when my profile was very new and was denied with that being one of the reasons despite them giving me a pre-qualifcation. 

Thoughts? 

FWIW, I applied for a Capital One SavorOne back in late March of this year.  I had no previous relationship of any sort with Capital One (never had one of their credit cards) and had a credit score in the low 800s.  I was approved immediately for the card and received a $10K credit limit, which is consistent with most of my other credit cards.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 24 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was looking heavily at a Cap1 SavorOne but honestly it seems they don't approve people with their credit being too good or too poor. Seems like they want people at like a 650 FICO and when you start to approach over 700 your likely to be rejected. I guess they want to make money off interest and fees and not interchange fees. They have rejected people in the past for too few or no revolving accounts having a balance Smiley Happy

Thoughts? 

FWIW, I applied for a Capital One SavorOne back in late March of this year.  I had no previous relationship of any sort with Capital One (never had one of their credit cards) and had a credit score in the low 800s.  I was approved immediately for the card and received a $10K credit limit, which is consistent with most of my other credit cards.

Interesting 

Thanks for the DP. 

Message 25 of 38
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

FWIW, not ALL that rare (but with Uber and PPMC getting rid of it, a little rarer).   All Cap One cards have no FTF, Chase Amazon, Discover, Citizens are ones I have that come to mind.

Agreed. There are a number of $0 AF, $0 FTF cashback cards. Fifth Third, which offers 2% cashback, has $0 AF and $0 FTF. Elan's Fidelity Rewards, which offers 2% cashback, has $0 AF and a 1% FTF (therefore the card effectively earns 1% cashback/$0 FTF abroad). And as mentioned by the previous poster, Citizens Bank, which offers 1.8% cashback, has $0 AF and $0 FTF.

Credit union cards often have $0 AF and $0 FTF. AOD's 3% cashback card has $0 AF/$0 FTF. Same with RBFCU's 2% cashback card. MidFlorida's 2.5% cashback card has $0 AF and a 1% FTF (therefore effectively 1.5% cashback/$0 FTF abroad).

FWIW, of the 11 Visa/Mastercard/American Express/Discover cards listed in my signature below, eight of them are no annual fee, no foreign transaction fee cards (all except the two Chase Freedom branded cards and the Citi Sears Mastercard).

What IS a little uncommon is to find no annual fee cards with good rewards that have no FTF.  That's even more true if you exclude American Express and Discover cards from the equation.  But having said that, quite a few such cards do exist.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 26 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the changes coming to the Chase Sapphire Preferred on August 16th, I think it will be a great card to use for grocery and dining. The highlights of the changes are below:

• 3x points on dining, including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out (previously 2x)
  • 3x points on select streaming services
  • 3x points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)
  • $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased through Ultimate Rewards. New cardmembers will start earning towards the credit immediately and existing cardmembers will start earning after their next account anniversary.  
  • 10% Anniversary Point Bonus. Each account anniversary, cardmembers will earn bonus points equal to 10% of total purchases made the previous year. That means, $25,000 in spend will earn an additional 2,500 bonus points.

The $50 credit and the 10% anniversary point bonus makes up for the $95 annual fee, IMO. More details here: https://media.chase.com/news/chase-reveals-new-benefits

Message 27 of 38
jhb
New Contributor

@unsungivy wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

@DONZI wrote:

Navy Federal Credit Union has a More Rewards card (amex) which you might like.

• 3X points at restaurants and on food delivery
  • 3X points at supermarkets
  • 3X points on gas and transit
  • 1X points on everything else

OP, this ☝is a great suggestion if you're a member or can become a member. 

Those are nice numbers for a no AF cash back card but a few more that I like.

-Up to 10% discount on Delta flights. You can get the discount on price and pay with Delta points.

-Up to 25% discount on rental cars if you call in. Probably can price match online but its a lot of hassle.

-Travel roadside assistance. I wouldn't put this benefit up AAA but I would over CSR roadside.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/network/navyfederal/morerewards/cardbenefits.html

@Anonymous you said you can't become a member at Navy? Why is that? They're actually pretty flexible about what qualifies to get you in the door for a military connection. A "roommate" counts... basically, everyone with a NFCU membership gets a membership number that they can supply you with to "sponsor" you.

It's really not that simple, at least I hope not, but I do wish NFCU would tighten their eligibility requirements. Hopefully the "roommates" don't mess up a good thing for us veterans/active duty/DOD/family members, later down the road. After spending two decades in the Air Force, and a member of, NFCU, year one of my enlistment, I'd hate to see things go downhill with this credit union because of people finding ways to gain membership.  

By the way, NFCU, defines Household Members(roomates), as those that share an address, and contribute financially to the household. So many people try to abuse this. It's why we can't have, or lose nice things.  

Rant done. Smiley Frustrated

Message 28 of 38
DONZI
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are a number of $0 AF, $0 FTF cashback cards. Fifth Third, which offers 2% cashback, has $0 AF and $0 FTF.

The 5/3rd card you mention has a fairly steep requirement of $100k in deposit/investment with them to attain 'preferred' status.

RE: "Available exclusively to Fifth Third Preferred Banking clients."

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 29 of 38
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Late to the party, I know.

That said, the TD Cash card offers 3% on Dining, no annual fee, and no FTF.

Amex BCE offers 3% on groceries, with no annual fee.

Discover it offers 5% on groceries in Q1 of each year.  No annual fee.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.