cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No credit, got my first card....now what to get?

tag
Tiberius800
New Contributor

Re: No credit, got my first card....now what to get?

I was buying something from a retail website. And at checkout there was a popup and it said im preapproved for a store credit card.

Does this mean that it will hard pull me if I accept it?

Message 21 of 31
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Tiberius800 wrote:

I was buying something from a retail website. And at checkout there was a popup and it said im preapproved for a store credit card.

Does this mean that it will hard pull me if I accept it?

Expect a HP regardless.  Which store card or retailer was this?

Message 22 of 31
Tiberius800
New Contributor

Victoria Secret. 

Message 23 of 31
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Tiberius800 wrote:

Victoria Secret. 

Ok, typically (and the great majority of reported data points from the Comenity thread) this one can result in a SP approval.  IIRC, very rare for this one to be HP.  Comenity [SCT] cards be like that sometimes 🤷‍♂️

Message 24 of 31
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Uhm. do you want a store card to take the slot of a potential approval with a card like a chase... it will still count against Chase 4/24 if you want to get that down the road...

And it is ill advised to plump your wallet with store cards.. this ship has sailed some time ago...... 

Think of it as low hanging fruit.. if you shop there, it might be worth it, but you could always get it down the road......

-J

Message 25 of 31
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@joltdude wrote:

it will still count against Chase 4/24 5/24 I f you want to get that down the road...

..if you shop there, it might be worth it, but you could always get it down the road......

-J

Just a slight correction on the Chase restriction 😉

+ if the OP can get value from the VS store card, they can definitely weigh the pros/cons for sure.

Message 26 of 31
Tiberius800
New Contributor

I'll take the Chase over the pink card any day Smiley Happy

lol.

Message 27 of 31
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like plan @Tiberius800.  As @joltdude mentioned upthread, you can always get it later if it's still of interest to you.  Save your slots and be selective as you build your profile.

Message 28 of 31
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Tiberius800 wrote:

Thoughts on adding a tradeline as authorized user from someone elses primary account?

This helped myself, dh, ds's x's 2.  Yes, if it's a reliable, well paid tl with at least a few years of good history...yes, tack it on. It won't hurt as long as it's a tl in solid standing.  It is a good credit building helper. 

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 29 of 31
Tiberius800
New Contributor

Thanks guys.

I took your advice and now got approved, today, for Discover IT miles card. $1,000 limit. My second US card. WAHOO!!

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.