cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No credit history at all, what are my options?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No credit history at all, what are my options?

I'd like to start building my credit. So far I've applied for the Capital One CC for new comers, supposedly for people with no credit history.  Obviously got declined.

In the future I plan on applying for the secured BoA card but from reading the board people are getting declined even for "secured" cards these days.

Assuming Walmart,Target, etc. reject me in the future, which most likely they will.

What options do I have left? Fingerhut? lol

What time frame should my applications be spaced out in? Assuming it's not a good idea to apply for a bunch at once.

I'm not in a hurry but would like to start the building process, CL's don't matter. 

Work part-time at the moment so income is not high but cash available.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: No credit history at all, what are my options?

People generally get denied for secured cards if there are difficulties establishing their identities, or if they have royally screwed up in the past. Very unlikely if your SS# and address are all squared away that you would have a problem with a secured card. The unsecured route will be much more difficult until you can establish some history. You can get started with secured anytime, and then give it 6 months and try for some easy unsecured cards. If those are declined, wait another 6 months and try again. I bet you can easily develop a history with a combination of secured and unsecured in under 18 months.

Good luck!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 2 of 16
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd like to start building my credit. So far I've applied for the Capital One CC for new comers, supposedly for people with no credit history.  Obviously got declined.

In the future I plan on applying for the secured BoA card but from reading the board people are getting declined even for "secured" cards these days.

Assuming Walmart,Target, etc. reject me in the future, which most likely they will.

What options do I have left? Fingerhut? lol

What time frame should my applications be spaced out in? Assuming it's not a good idea to apply for a bunch at once.

I'm not in a hurry but would like to start the building process, CL's don't matter. 

Work part-time at the moment so income is not high but cash available.

Thanks.

With no history, secured cards are generally easy approval.   After 6 months history, you have a credit score and then I would add some store cards which are usually easier to get.   

Message 3 of 16
distantarray
Established Contributor

Walmart card, DCU (digital credit union) secured card is one of the best, Wells Fargo or any local credit union should offer them as well, many local credit unions these days have credit card printers on site so you can have a card to use within minutes. Capital one sucks cause they couldn't verify my identity even though I sent my documents over 5 times and I got hit with 6 inquiries cause of their negligence.... for a secured card just find a local bank preferrably a credit union to get you started. Also find one that'll graduate. (meaning you get your money back after you proven yourself after months to a year)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 4 of 16
zerobacan
Established Contributor

Get to be an AU (Authorized User) to someone with a good Credit card, with a high limit and a good payment history. that would help you a lot

Credit Unions are super friendly and helpful.

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I'll see how it goes with the Secured CC.   Would it be a waste  to try and apply for a Walmart, BestBuy, Target card with no history?

What's the opinion on the BoA secured card?

Message 6 of 16
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, I'll see how it goes with the Secured CC.   Would it be a waste  to try and apply for a Walmart, BestBuy, Target card with no history?

What's the opinion on the BoA secured card?

Opinion on BoA secured card? in my Opinion stay away from ALL things BoA imo. They're a terrible bank. period. no iffs and butts they suck. Only good card imo that they had got nerfed few months ago the Asiana credit card that gave 2 miles per dollar spent on anything which made it really ideal, especially since you could use those miles for United flights etc.

Walmart is fine cause you'll probably get a low credit limit but GECRB is good about credit limit increases + free fico 08 transunion scores, bestbuy is run by capital one so I wouldn't want 3 credit inquiries on your reports besides they deny a lot for the bestbuy cards, target card I would avoid and just get the target debit card to link to your existing debit to get 5% off.

As stated earlier if you have little to no credit try to find a person to add you on their credit card, preferably a parent spouse siblings etc. Authorized user is basically being under the wing of another person's credit card. If they had the card for 10 years you'll get 10 years of credit history copy and pasted on your credit file dramatically increasing your credit score.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are some good secured CC's with low annual fees?

The Wells Fargo looks alright, I see the fee went up a bit to $25.  Which is not that big of a deal for the overall picture.

Message 8 of 16
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I apped last year for a boa cc and was declined. A few weeks later they sent me an offer for the 99/500 card visa. (I have had checking accounts with them for many years). That card posting to my credit really opened the credit door for me. It is invitation only I believe but it is a good start imo.
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 9 of 16
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The top secured cards are cap1 (reports as regular (unsecured) card, but wont graduate) , and BoA, which you can add the 1-2-3 rewards onto, and I'm fairly certain it graduates.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.