Did you mean: 

No credit history....

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: No credit history....

@chucky1234 wrote:

@Phizzle wrote:

The primary's score should not affect an AU score. Everyone's profile is individual to them. The only time his would make a difference is on a joint application.

What will affect your score are his usage and payment history on the cards. Generally speaking, for most known "prime" bank's unsecured products, you want at least six months history (referring to you your Chase and Discover reference). Some others may approve you for lower limits (like store cards). I would suggest taking care of your current line for 6 months or so before trying.

Good luck!

Great, thank you!

One last question how long before my credit reports generate a fico score? Anybody?

Six months history reported on any tradeline (credit card, auto loan, mortgage, student loan, etc).  After the sixth month is reported to the bureaus, you should be able to get a FICO score generated.

        
Message 11 of 18
chucky1234
Contributor

@TranTX wrote:

You may want to apply for Capital One Newcomers.

Which card is this one? I already have a Cap One secured Mastercard with them. Will they approve another one?

Message 12 of 18
Phizzle
New Contributor

Yes, they will approve you for more than one card. Go to Cap One's site and search for exactly that - "Capital One for Newcomers" in their search bar.
Message 13 of 18
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@chucky1234 wrote:

@TranTX wrote:

You may want to apply for Capital One Newcomers.

Which card is this one? I already have a Cap One secured Mastercard with them. Will they approve another one?

Yes they expect you to apply for a unsecured card with them after you have built some good history with them on the secured card. That history carries a lot of weight in the aproval and the CL.   So don't apply too soon.

Message 14 of 18
TranTX
Established Member

My wife came to US only 5 months. I added her as my authorized user and applied Capital One Newcomers, got instant approved for $500. She never had any credit card or securred card, this is her first credit card.  APR is 24.99% but no annual fee, spend $50 to $100 a month and pay it off. Good way to build credit and get 1% cash back too. After 3 months with this card, she applied for AMEX BCE and got approved for $2000.

CHASE: Freedom Visa 5K, Freedom MC 8.5K, United 5.9K, SP 5K
BK of AMER: Better Balance Rewards MC 11.3K
American Express: BCP 5.5K, PRG NPSL
Discover MORE 3.5K, MORE joint 500
Citi: Platinum 3250, AA Visa 6.5K, AA Business 13K
Barclay NFL: Visa 7.5k, MC 7k
Message 15 of 18
chucky1234
Contributor

@TranTX wrote:

My wife came to US only 5 months. I added her as my authorized user and applied Capital One Newcomers, got instant approved for $500. She never had any credit card or securred card, this is her first credit card.  APR is 24.99% but no annual fee, spend $50 to $100 a month and pay it off. Good way to build credit and get 1% cash back too. After 3 months with this card, she applied for AMEX BCE and got approved for $2000.

Wow...thats pretty good. I thought AMEX was hard to get with limited credit history. What were her scores?

Message 16 of 18
TranTX
Established Member

She also got approved for AMEX PRG last month. I never check her FICO, but creditkarma is 646 right now, 715 before AMEX BCE reported. She got denied for Chase Freedom because credit history is less than a year.  Barclay NFL denied her 3 times for no/limited credit history, many inquires, yuck, wasted 3 hard pulls.

CHASE: Freedom Visa 5K, Freedom MC 8.5K, United 5.9K, SP 5K
BK of AMER: Better Balance Rewards MC 11.3K
American Express: BCP 5.5K, PRG NPSL
Discover MORE 3.5K, MORE joint 500
Citi: Platinum 3250, AA Visa 6.5K, AA Business 13K
Barclay NFL: Visa 7.5k, MC 7k
Message 17 of 18
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Being an AU only helps if they have your social security number and report AUs to credit bureaus.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.