Did you mean: 

No foreign transaction fee card w/ average credit

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: No foreign transaction fee card w/ average credit

@Temporary_me wrote:

@enharu wrote:
For Barclays, once you are approved for the plat MC, you pretty much stay that way even if your CL increases past 5k. They do review accounts from time to time, but don't count on it until it actually happens (to avoid the disappointment / anger).

Your CL can always go up via auto CLIs, or you can always ask for one, though it will cost a HP, which really isn't a big deal in my opinion.

Everything is same about the card, except for world MC vs platinum MC benefits. Most wouldn't even care or use those benefits at all.

I personally think its a good deal for you since its 40k points after 1k spend, which is essentially $400 in savings on your travel. Do u know what your fico scores are? What is your utilization? I think you have a decent shot at a lot more cards than you think.

I do not know my fico scores, though I was contemplating paying for those. It would be ironic to look at them, apply for the Barclay, and then have free access to them as a Barclay cardholder.

As far as utilization I typically use between 10-20%. I pay down balances before my statement date to keep it in that range.

As Barclays is a TU puller and you have Discover you should have your TU Fico score....look at your Discover statement ?Smiley Surprised

Message 21 of 40
titanofold
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Temporary_me wrote:

@enharu wrote:
For Barclays, once you are approved for the plat MC, you pretty much stay that way even if your CL increases past 5k. They do review accounts from time to time, but don't count on it until it actually happens (to avoid the disappointment / anger).

Your CL can always go up via auto CLIs, or you can always ask for one, though it will cost a HP, which really isn't a big deal in my opinion.

Everything is same about the card, except for world MC vs platinum MC benefits. Most wouldn't even care or use those benefits at all.

I personally think its a good deal for you since its 40k points after 1k spend, which is essentially $400 in savings on your travel. Do u know what your fico scores are? What is your utilization? I think you have a decent shot at a lot more cards than you think.

I do not know my fico scores, though I was contemplating paying for those. It would be ironic to look at them, apply for the Barclay, and then have free access to them as a Barclay cardholder.

As far as utilization I typically use between 10-20%. I pay down balances before my statement date to keep it in that range.

As Barclays is a TU puller and you have Discover you should have your TU Fico score....look at your Discover statement ?Smiley Surprised

I was going to write that!

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 22 of 40
rlx01
Established Contributor

There's really no difference in World vs Plat since those benefits are rarely used. Plus purchase/warranty/whatever protections only apply to US purchased goods.

IMHO, apply for Barclays Arrival AF w/ 40k offer. Also, Barclay seem to be preparing to offer Chip+PIN cards, which is a good development.

Message 23 of 40
Temporary_me

@lg8302ch wrote:

@Temporary_me wrote:

@enharu wrote:

I would love to check it there if I could, however, despite Discover now offering free Fico scores to cardmembers, they currently only provide them to "Discover It" cardholders. My card is the Discover Open Road card so I'm not that lucky yet. Hopefully they will add my card into the mix in the coming months.

FICO: 763 (Discover Statement March 2015)
Barclay Arrival (no fee) - $6,300
Discover Open Road - $2,500
Message 24 of 40
enharu
Super Contributor

+1 to what Lg said.

Let us know your scores. What is your current utilization that is being reported? You can look at credit karma for that info.

And don't worry about AA. It really doesn't happen that much, and even when it happens, it's for legitimate reasons, not including macroeconomic reasons.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 25 of 40
enharu
Super Contributor

Is there a reason why you don't want to convert to the IT card? You can have the conversion done in minutes over the phone.

It's going to cost some money but it beats getting declined because everyone is blind guessing alongside with you and giving wrong info as a result.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 26 of 40
Temporary_me

@enharu wrote:
Is there a reason why you don't want to convert to the IT card? You can have the conversion done in minutes over the phone.

It's going to cost some money but it beats getting declined because everyone is blind guessing alongside with you and giving wrong info as a result.

The IT card has those 5% rotating categories, most of which are for things I spend little money on (such as dining out, or the movies for this quarter), and 1% elsewhere. My current card is fixed 1% on everything and 2% on gas (which is consistently ~50% of my CC usage or more).

Even if I did switch now, the change wouldn't take place till my statement period closes in almost a month, and then I'd have to wait for the following statement to get my score. Also, a Discover rep just told me that all cards will start having a Fico score included over the next few months anyhow.

Message 27 of 40
enharu
Super Contributor

@Temporary_me wrote:

@enharu wrote:

The IT card has those 5% rotating categories, most of which are for things I spend little money on (such as dining out, or the movies for this quarter), and 1% elsewhere. My current card is fixed 1% on everything and 2% on gas (which is consistently ~50% of my CC usage or more).

Even if I did switch now, the change wouldn't take place till my statement period closes in almost a month, and then I'd have to wait for the following statement to get my score. Also, a Discover rep just told me that all cards will start having a Fico score included over the next few months anyhow.

don't worry too much about the switch. I was just suggesting it because a lot of people thought the conversion process will be a pain in the ass, which it isn't.

If you can tell us your current utilization and AAoA, that will help as well. Having a FICO score will help, but it's not necessary.

Message 28 of 40
Temporary_me

@enharu wrote:

@Temporary_me wrote:

@enharu wrote:

don't worry too much about the switch. I was just suggesting it because a lot of people thought the conversion process will be a pain in the ass, which it isn't.

If you can tell us your current utilization and AAoA, that will help as well. Having a FICO score will help, but it's not necessary.

Had to look up what AAoA meant sorry! Currently from CreditKarma, my AAoA is 2 years, 3 mos. This is determined between my Discover card and my subsidized student loans (totaling ~$5k). The card is 1 year 6 mos old. The loans, however, being subsidized don't require any payment until 6 mos after graduation and are not accruing interest so I will be paying those in full at the same time the moment I receive my signing bonus with first paycheck.

Message 29 of 40
enharu
Super Contributor

what is your current utilization/

Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.