Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No increase in 8 years! AMEX

tag
Eddie24CO
Valued Member

No increase in 8 years! AMEX

Since 2014 I have had an AMEX everyday card with a $500 limit. Since then I have had opened A gold card with Amex for the last 3 years as well as other cards with major companies. In 2021 I obtained a mortgage no issues and of course car loans and other credit between 2014-2021. 

amex to this day refuses to raise the credit line on this card. I have talked to numerous people at Amex and they all say your account needs to be reviewed. The denial always says "insufficient credit" which makes no sense considering I have been a member for years and use and pay off the balances monthly as well as on all of my other major cards that have zero balances and limits in the tens of thousands. I have never had any late payments or collections or anything negative. Score is well over 720 on all 3. 

any ideas or suggestions on what to do? Can I write to someone at Amex? Do I close this account? 

Current FICO Scores as of June 2022:
Experian: 720
Equifax: 721
TransUnion: 719
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: No increase in 8 years! AMEX

If it were me and I did in fact put meaningful spend each month on the card (i.e. not just a single monthly $1.06 iced coffee from Cumberland Farms or a 50 cent Amazon reload) and routinely PIF I personally would just close the card and move on.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 27
collics
Established Contributor

I'd close it but that's just me. 

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 3 of 27
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

If it were me and I did in fact put meaningful spend each month on the card (i.e. not just a single monthly $1.06 iced coffee from Cumberland Farms or a 50 cent Amazon reload) and routinely PIF I personally would just close the card and move on.

Agreed. I don't know if Amex bucketing accounts is a thing, but it kinda sounds like your account may indeed be "bucketed" similar to Cap One's starter cards.

I'd close it and/or apply for a new revolving credit card. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Eddie24CO wrote:

Since 2014 I have had an AMEX everyday card with a $500 limit. Since then I have had opened A gold card with Amex for the last 3 years as well as other cards with major companies. In 2021 I obtained a mortgage no issues and of course car loans and other credit between 2014-2021. 

amex to this day refuses to raise the credit line on this card. I have talked to numerous people at Amex and they all say your account needs to be reviewed. The denial always says "insufficient credit" which makes no sense considering I have been a member for years and use and pay off the balances monthly as well as on all of my other major cards that have zero balances and limits in the tens of thousands. I have never had any late payments or collections or anything negative. Score is well over 720 on all 3. 

any ideas or suggestions on what to do? Can I write to someone at Amex? Do I close this account? 

If you have 0 balances on your cards (even if you dont let a balance report and get penalized on Fico scoring), no lates, etc, why is your score still only 720? Something here doesn't add up and maybe that's why Amex isn't budging on the cli?

Message 5 of 27
Eddie24CO
Valued Member

My scores at 720 as of now bc I just purchased a home in February and it reported in April. But this has been ongoing for 8 years with AMEX

Current FICO Scores as of June 2022:
Experian: 720
Equifax: 721
TransUnion: 719
Message 6 of 27
7774x
Established Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

Agreed. I don't know if Amex bucketing accounts is a thing, but it kinda sounds like your account may indeed be "bucketed" similar to Cap One's starter cards.

I'd close it and/or apply for a new revolving credit card. 

Move on.. Amex has tagged your card for negative info, event.. in the past 

Message 7 of 27
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

A localized CC might be somehow bucketed or you may riased some unintentional or intentional flags and you may somehow got bucketed (e.g. glitch in algo). Fico8~720 is marginal, if having 8+ years of credit profile and it might raised some financial risk concerns. It is good to keep Fico8~750-800 to expect more. Due to bucketing, it is less likely to get CLI.

I would say improve Fico8 and later on, try opening a new CC with them to see whether you may get a high CL. If that works, you may allocate some CL from your new card to the old card.

I am not a fan of closing low limit cards. If you PIF, the CL does not matter.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 8 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Eddie24CO wrote:

How much are you using the Gold card? 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

A localized CC might be somehow bucketed or you may riased some unintentional or intentional flags and you may somehow got bucketed (e.g. glitch in algo). Fico8~720 is marginal, if having 8+ years of credit profile and it might raised some financial risk concerns. It is good to keep Fico8~750-800 to expect more. Due to bucketing, it is less likely to get CLI.

I would say improve Fico8 and later on, try opening a new CC with them to see whether you may get a high CL. If that works, you may allocate some CL from your new card to the old card.

I am not a fan of closing low limit cards. If you PIF, the CL does not matter.

Actually it's the apr that shouldn't matter but for many the CL does matter. No much you can buy on a $500  cc even if you are a LIEr like me. 

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.