Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

tag
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

Re: No more AMEX backdating?-UPDATE

@Anonymous wrote:

*UPDATE* I called the number on the back of my card and spoke with a nice gentleman in the U.S. He was unable to locate my previous Gold card in the system, so I offered to fax over a copy of my credit report with it still reporting. He said he wouldn't make me go through all that trouble, and he believes that the account did exist and is "out there somewhere." He submitted a request to change my "Member since" date. I asked him if it would say 1999 instead of 2012 when I log in to my account online, and he said yes, and that they'd send me a new card. However, it can take 9-12 days. Of course, what I'm really concerned about it how it's reported to the CRAs. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

If your card is being mailed out with the new member since date, then do not worry yet. I know some in the forums have reported that the online member since date shows the changes within a few minutes but it can take upto 2 days sometimes (my case). Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 69
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Holly, How many times did you call? I am guessing one. In any case, wait for new card with member date on it and make sure online says right member date. Wait 2-3 days and call Amex credit report bureau again and ask how that account is being reported as opened. Likely will automatically be correct date. Remember you need to have a credit report and read that account number on credit report to them. If it isn't correct, post back for right way to handle it. Well post back if successful too.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 12 of 69
android01
Valued Contributor

The title of this thread reminded me of something I'd thought of before.  What IF Amex decided to do away with backdating and change everyone's AMEX card to the date it was opened?  There would be RIOTS in the streets of the Garden, MAYHEM at CB and FW.  The reverberations would be felt through almost every credit report in America! AMEX would have to post armed guards at it's main office building.  EX, EQ and TU's computers would simply catch on fire and shut down!  

On a more serious note, I'm surprised AMEX hasn't done away with backdating already, or at least been pressured to do so from various fronts.  Backdating allows for a distinct manipulation of the credit reporting system (by those who know and care about such things) thus putting the entire credit reporting "system" in question.    

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 13 of 69
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@android01 wrote:

The title of this thread reminded me of something I'd thought of before.  What IF Amex decided to do away with backdating and change everyone's AMEX card to the date it was opened?  There would be RIOTS in the streets of the Garden, MAYHEM at CB and FW.  The reverberations would be felt through almost every credit report in America! AMEX would have to post armed guards at it's main office building.  EX, EQ and TU's computers would simply catch on fire and shut down!  

On a more serious note, I'm surprised AMEX hasn't done away with backdating already, or at least been pressured to do so from various fronts.  Backdating allows for a distinct manipulation of the credit reporting system (by those who know and care about such things) thus putting the entire credit reporting "system" in question.    

My guess is recent changes were attempt to get into compliance with their interpretation of card act. Wouldn't surprise me if Amex makes or is forced to make changes down the road.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 14 of 69
android01
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

@android01 wrote:

My guess is recent changes were attempt to get into compliance with their interpretation of card act. Wouldn't surprise me if Amex makes or is forced to make changes down the road.

A distinct possibily, and it would suck.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 15 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@android01 wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

@android01 wrote:

A distinct possibily, and it would suck.  

PERISH THE THOUGHT!!! Smiley Surprised

Message 16 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing your experience! I just checked online and it still says 2012, but I'm not going to worry about it just yet. I just hope it's fixed before it starts reporting...I just got the card last week so I'm hoping I still have plenty of time to get it taken care of.
Message 17 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a good point. When I was on the phone with Customer Service, I couldn't help but wonder how many calls he gets from customers requesting backdating.
Message 18 of 69
MustangSaluki
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That's a good point. When I was on the phone with Customer Service, I couldn't help but wonder how many calls he gets from customers requesting backdating.

Some of them probably get denied due to a confusing approach on the call. Mentioning forum terms like "backdating" / "CRA reporting" adds to confusion. Most who call have been out of the Amex systems for a valid reason from their point of view, otherwise the member since date is automatically correctly assigned even after a prolonged gap. If coming back to Amex after a long gap and cards have not been backdated, a good approach is to just ask "My member since date is not showing up correctly on the card, can you please assist with that?". From there, it is really their show. If they cannot locate your account, have the documentation/proof ready. Once he confirms that a new card with the correct "member since" date is being shipped out, you are done. The online changes may take some time to reflect in some cases and the backdated reporting to CRA down the road is just another formality.

Message 19 of 69
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

@android01 wrote:

What provision of the card act do you think applies to this?   

Message 20 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.