Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No retention offer for Amex PRG

tag
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

Re: No retention offer for Amex PRG

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

Well, from a business stand point, I understand where they're coming from. The card is probably benefiting you much more than than AMEX is benefiting from you. As much as people like to think otherwise, you're not THAT important to any given CC company unless you're spending hundreds of thousands of dollars a year on your card. Besides, and not to sound like an ass, but I've worked in retentions before, and you learn that most CH's are simply bluffing (not all, but most), and you just kind of learn to roll your eyes at the "I'm going to cancel if you don't do X for me" type threats.

I tend to agree.  They charge an annual fee for a reason.  And as a business, they can't offer a retetion bonus for every customer who calls and threatens to cancel the card.  

I work for an airline, and I can't tell you the number of countless times I hear "i will never fly you again."  however, when you look back at that customer's profile, you see they didn't follow through with their idol threat.  Notably, don't get me wrong, I am not attempting to justify poor service with this anology.  However, oftentimes that customer does return because they will find value.

Message 21 of 24
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

I'm not going to defend AMEX but on this issue of their customer service I've had nothing but great experience with them.  

Recently an auto payment failed to process on the due date.  I called customer service and explained that as a result of the failed auto payment the current payment was 2 days late.  I asked for removal on the late fee.   

CSR looked over my account and came back with.

"I have some great news for you!"  

I said, "Great news?"  

CSR went on to explain that my late fee was waived and should be creditted in 24 hours.  

CSR then went on the say that as an AMEX customer for 19 years IT'S THE "LEAST' THEY COULD DO FOR ME.  

WOW!

I wonder how far they would have gone to satisfy?

While Amex can have great service, waiver of late fees is really nothing special!  

It wasn't the late fee removal that created excitement.  It was the fact that CSR said it was the least he could do.  I was wondering what would be the most they could do? 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 22 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

I'm not going to defend AMEX but on this issue of their customer service I've had nothing but great experience with them.  

Recently an auto payment failed to process on the due date.  I called customer service and explained that as a result of the failed auto payment the current payment was 2 days late.  I asked for removal on the late fee.   

I said, "Great news?"  

CSR went on to explain that my late fee was waived and should be creditted in 24 hours.  

CSR then went on the say that as an AMEX customer for 19 years IT'S THE "LEAST' THEY COULD DO FOR ME.  

WOW!

While Amex can have great service, waiver of late fees is really nothing special!  

It wasn't the late fee removal that created excitement.  It was the fact that CSR said it was the least he could do.  I was wondering what would be the most they could do? 

Remove the late fee!   Often the least and the most is the same in this sort of situation.

Message 23 of 24
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

I said, "Great news?"  

WOW!

Remove the late fee!   Often the least and the most is the same in this sort of situation.

Oh shux!  I was hoping for something along the lines of a free dinner to relect on how to avoid a failed payment next month. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.