cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No score no history with credit card app.

tag
syul9088
Established Member

No score no history with credit card app.

Hi all, Im new to credit journey. Do not have any score and history. Only thing I have was AU on my wife's Chase Freedom for 10 month, but I did not have a SSN and just received SSN. After I got a SSN, applied freedom my own and approved 3k. Very odd. I thought prime lender like Chase dont like customer who has no history. I want to have Discover IT card, Is there any chance that I got approval for it??? Thanks

Chase Freedom(6k), Chase Slate(1k), Amex BCP(5k AU), Amex Plat(NPSL AU), Amex Delta Plat(3k AU)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: No score no history with credit card app.

Since this is your first card, I would advise waiting at least 6 mos before applying for the IT.  Let  your Freedom show some history and you will be in a better position for additional cards.

Message 2 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@FocusedAndDetermined wrote:

Since this is your first card, I would advise waiting at least 6 mos before applying for the IT.  Let  your Freedom show some history and you will be in a better position for additional cards.

+1 Credit is a journey not a race.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 7
syul9088
Established Member

Agreed. Thanks for advice

Chase Freedom(6k), Chase Slate(1k), Amex BCP(5k AU), Amex Plat(NPSL AU), Amex Delta Plat(3k AU)

Message 4 of 7
syul9088
Established Member

I will def. do that Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
colinstu
Regular Contributor

Some CC companies include AU history in part of their approval process. I don't know which though.

Do you have income you can report? If so how much?

You might want to pull a free credit report just to see if there's anything on it (no score is included).

Are you currently a student? (I'd assume not, but can't hurt to ask... as student cards can be more relaxed on the credit history thing).

I'd say for now you should hold off on getting any new cards. Enjoy your new Freedom card and use it responsibly. After six months of use, only then would I try applying for a new card. $3k is a solid CL and the Freedom has some great benefits. Discover IT is a 5% rotating categories card and has quite a bit of overlap with the Freedom, you might want to consider a different card in the future.

A Capital One Quicksilver is a 1.5% cash back card and has a $3000 CL minimum, I think they’d be comfortable matching your Freedom’s CL in 6mo-1yr’s time as you build up some history showing you can manage that CL. 1.5% might not seem like much, but it would be a nice card to go to if you’re making any purchases that aren’t eligible for the 5% on your Freedom.

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 6 of 7
syul9088
Established Member

Yes, I can report my income 50k+ and I am not a student as well.

I decided to wait til at least 6mon or 1 year and apply to Amex or other good credit card.

I know 3k is decent limit and that is good start limit with.

Can't complain. Smiley Wink

@colinstu wrote:

Some CC companies include AU history in part of their approval process. I don't know which though.

Do you have income you can report? If so how much?

You might want to pull a free credit report just to see if there's anything on it (no score is included).

Are you currently a student? (I'd assume not, but can't hurt to ask... as student cards can be more relaxed on the credit history thing).

I'd say for now you should hold off on getting any new cards. Enjoy your new Freedom card and use it responsibly. After six months of use, only then would I try applying for a new card. $3k is a solid CL and the Freedom has some great benefits. Discover IT is a 5% rotating categories card and has quite a bit of overlap with the Freedom, you might want to consider a different card in the future.

A Capital One Quicksilver is a 1.5% cash back card and has a $3000 CL minimum, I think they’d be comfortable matching your Freedom’s CL in 6mo-1yr’s time as you build up some history showing you can manage that CL. 1.5% might not seem like much, but it would be a nice card to go to if you’re making any purchases that aren’t eligible for the 5% on your Freedom.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.