cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No undisputed tradelines exist with a status date or a balance within the last 6 months.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No undisputed tradelines exist with a status date or a balance within the last 6 months.

I am a college student with no credit, good or bad just because i have never had a credit card. I applied for the zync card from amex which a lot of people have recommended as great for students. I have a consistent income and am able to pay off any purchases I make. Can someone explain this error I get when I apply for the card? Is there any way around it?

Thanks so much for the help

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: No undisputed tradelines exist with a status date or a balance within the last 6 months.

Hi, welcome to the forums!

It means that you currently have no credit. In other words you have nothing showing indicating that you've used credit within the last six months. If you had something, but it was disputed, it would have been ignored.

Sounds like you're going to have to start somewhere else. Is your college affiliated with a credit union, one that offers credit cards? If so, ask if they issue secured credit cards to those in your situation, who need to establish credit. A secured card means that you deposit $500, for instance, and receive a CC with a $500 credit limit.

Another option might be a CC marketed specifically to students. But I would definitely call first, tell them that you have no reported credit, an empty credit report, and no FICO score, and ask if will they issue cards to students in your situation.

Once you have some form of credit reporting for six months or so, you'll be in better shape. Lenders are chicken. They want to see that you have a history of managing credit, but no one wants to be the first.

edit to add: if there isn't a credit union available, there might be a locally-based bank that has a presence among students at your school. Ask the same question of them: will they help someone like you get started in credit. Be sure that they say yes, it's OK that you don't have any current credit history before you let them pull your credit. No point in getting a hard inquiry on your reports for nothing.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: No undisputed tradelines exist with a status date or a balance within the last 6 months.

Capital One would be a good place to start among the major banks.   You might need to start with their secured card.

Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

My friend was approved for $100 on Best Buy Mastercard with no file after he turned 21, he had been declined just a month or two earlier when he was still 20.  I would open up 1 account somewhere, Cap1 Secured would be great option to as previously posted... Wait 6 months after opening account and then try for the Zync again.

Message 4 of 5
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@dgaballa --

Just to make sure. Are you at least 21, or do you have a job with verifiable income?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.